Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Gunworks Alpha Grip

RangerTrace

On 12/8/2020 at 5:57 PM, uhmeebuh said:

These are the full panel on the right (that comes with it) and the half panel on the left.  I like them a lot!

I'm coming from a Nighthawk Firehawk and Shadowhawk so it took a little getting used to but I've really grown to like the grip aggressiveness and lack of grip safety on the Athena!

• 2 weeks later...

This Alpha grip is awesome.  During a recent class with TGO, we found that on the polymer STI grip, I wasn't gripping the gun tight enough with the heal of my weak hand.  This little insert on the right side of the grip makes that much easier for me to do correctly.  

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

On 12/18/2020 at 7:23 PM, Firebull said:

What’s your opinion of the Nighthawk double stack vs Atlas from accuracy, reliability and recoil management perspectives?  Many thanks.

Sorry - missed this one with the holidays.

The NHC grip is bigger than the Alpha but the panels on the Alpha make them about the same.  The texture on the NHC is very smooth compared to the Alpha and even the E2 Cheely is much more grippy (and is my preference between the three).  

The Firehawk is less recoil than the Atlas with the same ammo due to the comp.  But you can only run an RMR with the IOS on the Firehawk and I have an SRO on the Athena. 

The trigger on the Athena is lighter and shorter and both have been very reliable (no issues with any ammo to speak of) with a 3-5k rounds through each.  

So, I want both combined...which is an Atlas Erebus.   Looking into an Erebus top end for my Athena now...

Edited by uhmeebuh

7 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

@RangerTrace would you say the atlas grip would be good for a carry pistol? I'm currently going back and forth between getting an Atlas, have Dan at D2 customs build me one, or the Nighthawk. 

Size and weight wise, it makes a great carry gun.  But it's still quite a bit heavier than a G19.  The Alpha Grip's carry texture is aggressive, but it's not shredding my shirts....yet.  Cheelys carry texture would be more kind to your skin.

8 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Size and weight wise, it makes a great carry gun.  But it's still quite a bit heavier than a G19.  The Alpha Grip's carry texture is aggressive, but it's not shredding my shirts....yet.  Cheelys carry texture would be more kind to your skin.

Sweet. Now I just need to narrow down which one I want. Also looking at a Nighthawk 2011 as well.

• 9 months later...

Anyone with the new Alpha grip experiencing movement of the panels when inserted? There is no "click" when placed in the slot they just fall in. Now its not a huge amount of movement but if you wiggle it you can feel it slightly. I have the full panel on the right and the step panel on the left. Awesome feel but this movement is bugging me.

I just installed the same panels.  You have to make sure the top of the inserts are inserted first.  If not they will not install correctly.  I actually had to Dremel to bottom of the inserts for the panels to fit fully flush.  I am assuming they want you to do this to make sure it fits your grip.  I.e. they come oversized so you can custom fit them to your particular grip. If this is not their intention then maybe someone with more knowledge can step in and correct me.  

I worked very slowly and monitored what material needed to be removed where to ensure the fit was perfect.  The panels do not move at all so far.  Only 250 rounds through it with the new panels, and a bit of dry fire with zero movement.

If you are able to insert the panel flush and it floats in the insert area of the grip I would contact Atlas and ask them.  If the inserts float (move around) when flat, they will always move.  At least it would seem that way.

If you want I can make a video of the material I removed and describe exactly how I installed mine.

Edited by Boomstick303

11 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

I just installed the same panels.  You have to make sure the top of the inserts are inserted first.  If not they will not install correctly.  I actually had to Dremel to bottom of the inserts for the panels to fit fully flush.  I am assuming they want you to do this to make sure it fits your grip.  I.e. they come oversized so you can custom fit them to your particular grip. If this is not their intention then maybe someone with more knowledge can step in and correct me.  

I worked very slowly and monitored what material needed to be removed where to ensure the fit was perfect.  The panels do not move at all so far.  Only 250 rounds through it with the new panels, and a bit of dry fire with zero movement.

If you are able to insert the panel flush and it floats in the insert area of the grip I would contact Atlas and ask them.  If the inserts float (move around) when flat, they will always move.  At least it would seem that way.

If you want I can make a video of the material I removed and describe exactly how I installed mine.

Thanks Boom. I do have the lip inserted at the top I just think these panels are a tad bit small. They fall right in place. They wont fall out, but I was expecting a click or a tighter fit. Might just be this particular set.

I do have 4 matches with the gun. No issues and love it, Titan v2 soft shooter

Edited by steveac1

Overall  I am super impressed with the  ability to change out panels on the Alpha Grip.  Inserting the large insert on the right side and a step insert on the left side for a right handed shooter creates a lot more contact for both hands.  My original grip and panels came as moderate as I was not into the cheese grater approach for my grip, but I might try aggressive grip panels, with my moderate main grip so see if that gives me more traction without tearing up my hands.

I will say I did have concerns about issues @steveac1seems to be having with his grip in that its interesting in how there is really no mechanism other than the Magwell that holds the panels in place, but I am not having the same issues.  So Far.