Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 mag problem

MJF

I have three new 17 round Shadow 2 mags. I put extensions on them and now they hold exactly, 17 rounds.  I used the stock follower and spring. I thought with all of that extra room they would hold a few more. Does the spring and follower need to also be changed? I like the slide lock function of the stock follower.

IMG_3584.jpg

I get 23 with grams followers and springs and Henning extensions. When I had the stock springs and followers I’d get 21 rounds.

Your follower could be catching on the lip of the extension when fully loaded, how many rounds could you fit in the mag with the stock base plate?

The follower is a tight fit. It does have just enough room to move and get caught up on the lip of the mag extension. It can be seen when looking down with a flashlight. I'll have to blend it like you do a mag well.

Thank you all.

Mike

If you want to add more rounds to your mag/extension while using the stock followers, you need to cut the feet (the two extended plastic part on both sides of the follower’s bottom portion) leaving enough plastic to enable slide lock on an empty mag. You can use a dremel with a cutoff tool and just sand the cut to clean it up.

If you look at the grams or CZC followers, they are almost flat and don’t have the protruding plastic on the bottom part of the stock followers. These protruding feet on each side on the bottom part of the follower is what preventing you from loading more rounds into the mag because it will physically hit the extension.

The extensions are the same angle as the stock base pads. The followers are solid, I just cut three of them. With a different follower they will hold more than 20. I like the slide lock on the last round, so I kept the stock follower.

5 hours ago, slavex said:

@KlausN not all of them are. Plenty in fact, aren't, not everyone is legally allowed to use extended pads that increase capacity. 

Good point.  But aren’t the extensions tor 10 rd mags used on short tubes (CZ) and additionally they slide inside the tube not outside?  I have not even considered 10rd extensions as all my 10 rd mags have short tubes and look different. 

@KlausN MecGar makes 10 round mags that are full body tubes with indents on the side, so +2 or whatever baseplates don't actually add capacity, but some regions still won't let them in simply because those region's law enforcement think they could add capacity. As well some places a factory 19 round mag is fine, but adding a new baseplate that adds more capacity isn't. Laws are stupid everywhere it seems. So in some places you'll see what looks like an extra capacity baseplate but in fact is nothing more than a larger baseplate, either for ease of handling, looks, or weight, or all of the above, or, maybe, is extra capacity too. It all depends where you are, and what the intent is behind them. I've had to deal with a few people who've bought large baseplates thinking they were going to get extra capacity, only to discover they didn't when the baseplates were solid, but they couldn't actually figure out why until it was explained to them.