Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My simplified loading method for 9x19 and USPSA/IPSC

mrd

I've been experimenting a lot with my loads over the years, trying to squeeze out every last bit of accuracy, using ransom rest, chasing low SD on velocity and even sorting calibrated brass by length. 

I don't anymore. I've found that using a much simplified loading process, to find the right bullet for the gun, I can still without much trouble keep well within 2" at 25m shooting unsupported with two hands. The bullets I'm using are among the cheapest I can find too (LOS and Frontier), still great results. 

Using sorted once fired brass I load the bullets that I want to try in the gun. I first try the bullets I already have and that shoot well in other guns. I find the longest safe OAL (that still fits into the magazine) that I can load for that passes the plunk test. Then I load a quite small powder ladder to see how much powder I need to make 132-136 PF. I then load about 20-30 rounds that makes the desired power factor and shoot them for accuracy, five shot groups. With my best loads I'm at 1-1.5" center-to-center at 25 meters, shooting unsupported using both hands at a slow pace, taking the gun down and resting between each shot. A good load groups below 2". If the load don't keep below 2", I move on and try a different bullet. 

I don't fiddle with seating depth or velocity nodes with handguns any more. If the bullet does not shoot well at my desired power factor at max safe OAL, I move on - other bullets will. The goal is to find bullets that the gun likes, at the desired power factor. I don't waste time to maximize accuracy for a bullet that my gun doesn't like, or that needs a higher power factor for tight groups. My experience says that the biggest factor in finding an accurate load for a handgun is using the right bullet. I don't want any more recoil or hotter loads to get more accuracy from a bullet that does not group well enough at 132-136 PF. I know there are bullets that shoot more than accurately enough at my desired power factor, these are the bullets I want to find.

Once I've found a good load with this method, I find that using mixed brass with the same load usually still gives good groups. Perhaps 25-30% more spread with mixed brass, it depends on the load. Still, this is great accuracy for our sport. 

It depends on the gun too. With my Tanfoglio, I get the results above. With my Walther Q4 I consider a 2" at 25m great and 3" is good. Your experience will tell you what to expect from your gun. 

Edited by mrd

That only works when you can get the bullets you want/like. My “preferred” Bullets are unavailable, so I’ve placed orders all over the place. I’ll end up with multiple different brands, weights, and bullet shapes to deal with. In my case, I’ll accept a lot less accuracy in favor of reliability over the next year or two until preferred components become more readily available. 

mrd, you must have a crappy gun.   Both of my Open guns, a 2011 for USPSA and a 1911 for SCSA, will put any 115gr or 124gr JHP I can buy into one hole at 15 yards.  The crappiest brand is still less than a dime wide, edge to edge.  That is for both major and minor.  Good plated bullets open than up a tad, but still under dime size.

Poly coated bullets are a different matter.  Precision Bullets and Roger's Purple PC bullets are great and don't smell when you fire them.  So are Sommers Enterprise coated, but the smell terrible when fired.  The there is the junk.  The least accurate bullets I've ever shot were J-Ames 124 and 135 coated bullets.  They also smoke more than any other coated bullets I've tried.

There is no reason you should run out of your favorite bullet(s).  I order 3000 of a type at a time.  When I open the last 3000 I order more.  Even now they still are received before I run out of the last batch.  Following that rule I ordered 3000 115 JHPs a little over a month ago.  They just came in and I still have 2400 of the last batch.

zzt, maybe I'm just a crappy shooter, since I produce these groups shooting unsupported. Still, I can also make one hole at 15 yards. But I test accuracy at 25 meters and the group sizes stated are at this distance, FYI this translates to over 27 yards. I only use plated bullets, they are easier on the wallet and the barrel. 

mrd, I'm not commenting on your shooting ability, just the quality of your barrel (or possibly, gun).  It has been my experience that a good barrel shoots everything well, except for poorly made lead bullets.  Both my Open guns will shoot 115 JHPs from four brands into the same hole at 169 and 144 PF.  Same with Montana GOld 124 JUPs, Everglade 124 plated, Berry's 115 and 124 heavy plate and Berry's 124 regular plate.  My 1911 Open gun even shoots my mouse fart PCC 124 plated loads to the same POI.  However, the don't work the slide.

Again I'll say I'm not questioning your shooting ability.  I'm questioning the trouble you go to to find the right bullet.  You wouldn't have to if your barrel was good.

Edited by zzt

zzt, I have never owned an open pistol or a pistol with a custom barrel. I have owned CZ'z, Tanfoglios and Walthers. I'm glad for you if every bullet you shoot gives you one hole accuracy, but this has not been the case for me with my guns - even though the Tanfos has been shooting tighter than the rest. My experience has been that the wrong bullet for the gun/barrel can give very poor results - up to 8" at 27 yards.

In some divisions, like IPSC Production, swapping to a custom barrel is not allowed. You have to optimize for the barrel you have, even if it is "crappy" or ammo sensitive. 

If you have a high quality open gun or a custom barrel that produces one hole accuracy, then you don't need this method. For those of us who need to do some load tweaking to get good accuracy, this is a much easer way than to turn every stone and fiddle with charge weights and seating depths. 

I would ask you to look wider than just your own guns, and not to call the guns of others "crappy". Peace.

Edited by mrd

I have an even simpler method.  I buy whatever bullets, primers, and powder I can for the cheapest.  I pick a seating depth that will plunk in all my guns.  I buy bulk brass and do nothing to it but clean and resize it.  I pick a charge that will make pf with a good margin.  Then I go shoot.

Never missed the A zone at 25 yards with ammo like that if I execute the fundamentals of marksmanship correctly.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

4 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I have an even simpler method.  I buy whatever bullets, primers, and powder I can for the cheapest.  I pick a seating depth that will plunk in all my guns.  I buy bulk brass and do nothing to it but clean and resize it.  I pick a charge that will make pf with a good margin.  Then I go shoot.

Never missed the A zone at 25 yards with ammo like that if I execute the fundamentals of marksmanship correctly.

We have the exact same method, lol.