Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PPQ Q5 SF FAILS TO SLIDE LOCK

TheGoatMumbler

I have about 5k rounds through my Q5 SF. I first started using Fenix 147g reloads at about 140PF and had no problems. Once I started reloading the problems began. Failure to go into battery, double feeding, failure to extract, no slide lock, etc. with loads around 125-130. Walther says the absolute floor for reliable operation is 130PF on these Q5 SF's so I worked my loads up. All problems solved now except slide lock. Last week I ran 90 rounds through 6 mags loaded to 5 rounds to test a ton of slide locks. Works fine at the range. Go to a match and 3 out of 6 stages I get a failure to slide lock with the striker cocked. This isn't mag related either. My loads average 136pf now so do I just keep going up or buy a damn CZ?  Help!!

2 hours ago, TheGoatMumbler said:

...Works fine at the range. Go to a match and 3 out of 6 stages I get a failure to slide lock with the striker cocked...

This is typical of the thumb against the slide release when shooting.  At the range, you probably do not have the same movement you have at a match. The slide release needs very little pressure to keep the slide from locking back.  Ask me how I know.😉

9 hours ago, BartCarter said:

This is typical of the thumb against the slide release when shooting.  At the range, you probably do not have the same movement you have at a match. The slide release needs very little pressure to keep the slide from locking back.  Ask me how I know.😉

Another vote here of potentially riding the slide stop. I’m especially bad about doing it anytime I shoot a Glock with extended controls. 

Also, I use a Wolff Glock 12# recoil spring on the factory rod with the bunny fart loads.  

Edited by Apexer

The large soft slide release (i.e. mag spring) is my least favorite part of the walther designs.  You can adress it with enough training, but its tempting to mod the pistol with a smaller lever and a small shroud (like the glocks.)

Edited by Chrome308