Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 toolhead spring length

I recently purchased a new toolhead spring for my 1050, since it had taken quite a set. The spring I received seems to be much longer than my original, and has more coils than the original spring, and I have trouble fitting the spring to the machine. My 1050 was purchased from Brian back in 2011. Do I have a wrong part?

1192493875_springlengthandcoils_rez.thumb.jpg.c195eceb09a3bb26b8519fd86aaeb5f7.jpg

Here's the label from the spring package:

label_rez.thumb.jpg.9df1cb59a1f48ee82a463d7ab08c8c2e.jpg

On 10/24/2020 at 3:19 PM, Davecoff13 said:

If you go to the Dillon page it says there was a change in the spring to improve the life. You also need to change the spring bushing part number 11335 to accommodate the longer spring.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/super-1050-upper-machine-assembly_8_46_25608.html

Thanks! Don't know how I missed that. I'll get a new bushing.

I bought the spring and bushing from level 10 and I’m glad I did. It really made a big difference the handle comes back to top of the stroke along with the tool head. It felt different at first but I got use to it pretty quick. I’ve had it for about 18 months and it’s still going fine. I don’t think Dillon had the bigger spring and bushing at the time I got the new spring and bushing from level ten.

Edited by Dwbsig

On 10/25/2020 at 12:16 PM, mvmojo said:

Did you see an improvement with the Level 10 spring?  

I did.  Seems to work better than the original spring, which only lasted 3 years.  I had a replacement spring in the maintenance kit, it lasted 4 years.

I put the longer dillon spring and bushing onto my RL1050 and it made the stroke a good bit heavier.  Will the level 10 spring and bushing put up even more of a fight on the RL1050? There's an extra 3/4 or so of compression right off the bat because of the shorter stroke on the old RL models.

The new Dillon bushing and longer spring is working out well for me. I ended just getting a new Spare Parts Kit, since that was the quickest way to get a bushing here in Europe.

The new spring certainly takes more effort than my old spring, but seems like it might have fixed some niggling primer issues, which may have been caused by failure to sufficiently push the handle into the top position, since the spring was not able to do so anymore.