kf4zht

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Prange said:

That is Spectacular!

Who did the work?

A local guy here in Southern California, but he's out of business now. He wasn't really a gunsmith, more of a talented machinist.

Edited by ysrracer

On 12/10/2020 at 12:27 PM, Wyoming Shooter said:

I ordered a couple DS-10s. I also contacted Speed Beez a few days ago about their loaders unprovoked puking live rounds. No response from Speed Beez yet. Thanks for the DS-10 tips.

UPDATE 12/11/2020

I today received the following email from Speed Beez:

"Edward,

We have a new double pouch that holds the loader a little different and will get one sent out to you Monday at no charge."

On 9/17/2020 at 1:57 PM, MikeBurgess said:

I have the DS-10 speed loaders for mine, I believe they were the original, they are all plastic and cost a little less than the speed bees, not sure if they load as fast as I have never used the Speed Beez 

mine has the trigger down around 8 or 9 lb (my trigger gauge doesn't read that high) and will run federal bulk pack ammo pretty much 100% it varies with other ammo, all I did was adjust the main spring, I bent mine rather than play with the strain screw. I have heard that with a apex hammer and extended firing pin you can get into the 7lb range.

Randy Lee built mine and it's 7-1/4# DAO with the Apex hammer.  That's about as low as you can go with 100% reliability. 

I bought the new Mass Drive Hammer from Randy and Scott at Apex.  I was able to get the trigger down to an even 7 pounds to make it work with all my ammo.  6.5 and it busted most caps but I wanted to shoot any of my .22s I have in stock.  I found that, just like on centerfires, Federal ammo works best in my guns.

I  have both the DS10 and SpeedBeez speedloaders for my 617, I recently compared both, the cartridge counterbore on the Speedbeez is .020 larger than the DS10, this allows the cartridge to tilt more resulting in the retaining spring slipping over the case rim. I am certain this in contributing to the issues we are seeing. The DS10 has a slightly larger outside diameter which slows down my reloads. I like the center push feature on the Speedbeez however a lost round can be crucial. In the near future I will chuck the DS10s up in the lathe and turn the OD down. 

19 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I bought the new Mass Drive Hammer from Randy and Scott at Apex.  I was able to get the trigger down to an even 7 pounds to make it work with all my ammo.  6.5 and it busted most caps but I wanted to shoot any of my .22s I have in stock.  I found that, just like on centerfires, Federal ammo works best in my guns.

Have you has a chance to compare the "NEW" mass driver to the original? I recently removed mine and replaced it with a semi target hammer which improved reliability at the  spring settings. I have founf Remington and Browning to be the most consistent at 7 1/4 pound DA Pull.

2 hours ago, 357454 said:

Have you has a chance to compare the "NEW" mass driver to the original? I recently removed mine and replaced it with a semi target hammer which improved reliability at the  spring settings. I have founf Remington and Browning to be the most consistent at 7 1/4 pound DA Pull.

Yes, I was one of the first people to get the new Mass Drive Hammer. I had their older hammer and during an open house at Apex Randy gave me the new hammer to test.  I've been very satisfied with it.

The Mass Drive lets me shoot more varieties of ammo with 100 % reliability.

22 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Is it this one?

https://www.apextactical.com/22-mass-driver-hammer-kit

Just now, ysrracer said:

Yes, that's the new one.  I tested 8 different ammos from CCI Mini Mags, Blazers, Federal BYOB, Remington Golden ,Bullets, Federal Gold Match HV, Aguila Super Extra HV and Wolf Match Target  all went off with the pull set to 7.5 pounds.  I got the Fed's and Goldens to fire at 6.5.

1 hour ago, AzShooter said:

Yes, that's the new one.  I tested 8 different ammos from CCI Mini Mags, Blazers, Federal BYOB, Remington Golden ,Bullets, Federal Gold Match HV, Aguila Super Extra HV and Wolf Match Target  all went off with the pull set to 7.5 pounds.  I got the Fed's and Goldens to fire at 6.5.

Ok, you convinced me. I ordered one. Next time I'm in AZ I'll let "the grey ghost" do his magic :)

10 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Ok, you convinced me. I ordered one. Next time I'm in AZ I'll let "the grey ghost" do his magic :)

Call first.  They don't do much gunsmithing these days.  They are more into manufacturing.  It's an easy drop in hammer.  Randy did not smithing to my gun, just dropped the new hammer in, played with the mainspring and there it was.  Works great.  Order it and do it yourself if you like.

25 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Call first.  They don't do much gunsmithing these days.  They are more into manufacturing.  It's an easy drop in hammer.  Randy did not smithing to my gun, just dropped the new hammer in, played with the mainspring and there it was.  Works great.  Order it and do it yourself if you like.

Call who? I'm talking about my buddy in AZ that does my revo smithing.

7 minutes ago, mchapman said:

Na take it to your tractor mechanic.

You mean the guy in Phoenix that's name rhymes with Glank Frenn? That tractor mechanic?

No thanks, I had to pay Will Ohara here in So Cal to fix all the "upgrades" he did.

I've tried Remington GB, CCI SV and Mini-Mags, Aguila SV and HV, Fiocchi SV, Federal HV.

No issues with any of them except GB with 10% or so inconsistent results. I had a round so weak the bullet stuck in the forcing cone and I had to pound it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Trigger - While I would love it to match my 625 I know that 22 is going to have ignition issues. Searches range from only touching the strain screw to the JM trigger springs to the springs with an extended firing pin. I'd prefer not to run an extended FP so I can dryfire it safer. Whats the current recommendation. Its a new production model. 

Call Apex.

1 hour ago, Boy said:

Trigger - While I would love it to match my 625 I know that 22 is going to have ignition issues. Searches range from only touching the strain screw to the JM trigger springs to the springs with an extended firing pin. I'd prefer not to run an extended FP so I can dryfire it safer. Whats the current recommendation. Its a new production model. 

Call Apex.

Yes, call Apex.  Their new Mass Drive Hammer will work.  Randy recommends the stock firing pin but use their springs and you should get a great trigger on you 617.  I got one of the first hammers and am very satisfied with it.  It's basically a drop in part.

12 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Yes, call Apex.  Their new Mass Drive Hammer will work.  Randy recommends the stock firing pin but use their springs and you should get a great trigger on you 617.  I got one of the first hammers and am very satisfied with it.  It's basically a drop in part.

I bought the hammer, all it did was make my trigger pull heavier. Want to buy it?