Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge to open

will77

I have a tuned edge from Dawson precision, I'm getting out of limited major my eyes got old ugh I'm shooting co right now and really like it is it possible to get an open top end made? bad idea? or just sell my limited rig and get a gun built for open just looking at some options. Thanks.

I have a tuned edge from Dawson precision, I'm getting out of limited major my eyes got old ugh I'm shooting co right now and really like it is it possible to get an open top end made? bad idea? or just sell my limited rig and get a gun built for open just looking at some options. Thanks.
Buy a top tier slide and barrel like infinity or kkm and send it to Gans Guns. He doesn't sell parts but he can build you something cost effective in a short amount of time.

http://www.gansguns.com/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yep I'm shooting carry optics well first match shooting that division is the 26th.I like shooting my Glock 34 but i do miss the fell of the 2011 ha. I've been out of the game for a few years was more curious than anything, a lot has changed in 4 years. 

My first Open gun started life as an STI Edge in 40sw.  The owner sent it to Gans and had him lighten the slide and install a new barrel with comp in 40.  I shot that gun for two years.  Even though I shoot 9mm Open now, I still liked the 40 Open better.  It was waaay softer and flatter.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

My first Open gun started life as an STI Edge in 40sw.  The owner sent it to Gans and had him lighten the slide and install a new barrel with comp in 40.  I shot that gun for two years.  Even though I shoot 9mm Open now, I still liked the 40 Open better.  It was waaay softer and flatter.

Really good to know thanks.

38 minutes ago, NOSHMJ said:

This one started out as a limited gun.  Atlas built an open slide for it.  So Im sure you can have a slide/barrel of your chosing fit to your frame.

20200125_115032_compress15.jpg

That’s a good looking gun off to atlas website!

will, if you are planning to add a steel grip check your serial number and ask if the grip will fit on.  STI changed the dimensions of their frames so many times it is just pot luck.  For instance, a Cheely e2 grip goes on newer STI DVC frames with no fitting.  However, it would not go on my CMxxxx serial number Edge frame. It would require milling a substantial amount of material off the frame pads.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with shooting a poly grip.  I did it for years.  If you want to move the balance of the gun back, buy a brass magwell.  That will put you within 1.5 oz. of a steel grip.  You could also replace the plastic MSH with a metal one.  Then you are at the same weight as a steel grip.

1 hour ago, will77 said:

Reading through the Honchos thread got me thinking  about that route, my son is hooked on steel challenge I like the idea of just a barrel swap.

If I hadn't already had two Open guns in the pipeline I'd have jumped at the Honcho deal last year.  Thee barrels for the price of one.  9 minor for steel, 9 major for USPSA and a regular 9mm barrel for the one club that does not permit compensators in competition. 

12 hours ago, zzt said:

will, if you are planning to add a steel grip check your serial number and ask if the grip will fit on.  STI changed the dimensions of their frames so many times it is just pot luck.  For instance, a Cheely e2 grip goes on newer STI DVC frames with no fitting.  However, it would not go on my CMxxxx serial number Edge frame. It would require milling a substantial amount of material off the frame pads.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with shooting a poly grip.  I did it for years.  If you want to move the balance of the gun back, buy a brass magwell.  That will put you within 1.5 oz. of a steel grip.  You could also replace the plastic MSH with a metal one.  Then you are at the same weight as a steel grip.

If you send your frame dimensions to Glenn at LSI, he’ll cut a grip to size.  He did it for me and it fit perfectly .