Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Source for 9mm Carbide Throating or Finish Reamer

Shadow

As the title says looking for a source for a 9mm carbide throating or finish reamer.  Only one I've found so far is PTG (8-12 wks).  Got a new Shadow 2 with a really short throat.  Don't like having to load 147s so deep to work in the short throat.   The barrel is nitrided and my HSS reamer won't cut it.  I'm not interested in sending the barrel out to be reamed, would rather buy a reamer.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  TIA.

I ordered mine from Brownell's a couple years ago.  Typical Brownell's week shipping.  MidwayUSA probably has them.

I ordered a .357sig reamer from PTG and I thought I might end up selling the gun before the reamer finally got shipped.  It was 3 months and no notifications about any issues getting it out.

There is a company that rents reamers if you only need it for one job.  Save a bunch of money but has to go back in same condition.

Thanks for the suggestions aandabooks, but it has to be a carbide reamer.  High speed steel (HSS) reamers won't cut nitride coated barrels. Brownells and Midway only sell HSS (high speed steel) reamers.  Same (HSS) for the rental companies.   I've bought many reamers from PTG, and know exactly what you're talking about time wise and lack of communication.  That's why I thought I'd ask here if any one knew of a source for a carbide reamer other than PTG.  To their credit, all the PTG reamers I've bought have been excellent.

I’ve got one and I’ve cut quite a few nitrided barrels. Walthers, Gen 5 Glocks, Shadow 2s, and various PCCs with hardened barrels that will ruin a Brownells reamer.

I’m actually on my second carbide reamer, as Shadow 2 and 5th gen Glocks are HARD steel, and will dull even this material rather rapidly.

Message @1911luvr and see if he has one available still.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I've used HSS reamers on CZ barrels with success-- and lots of cutting oil, but it's slow going and very hard on the reamer.

I keep thinking about grinding down some old broken carbide end mill to a D-bit on the T&C grinder, but then I remember I have more important things to do, like pretty much everything :)

The other thing to watch for on the Brownells throating reamers is the solid pilot can be larger than the rifling bore on a CZ, which means it won't do jack until that's fixed.

• 2 years later...