Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poly-choke

THOR-HAMMER

Hello,

I am just curious why nearly nobody is using adjustable chokes in the shotgun action shooting disciplines like IPSC, USPSA or 3-Gun-Competitions.

Early this year I purchased one adjustable titanium choke from TRUGLO.

The choke is working fine with shot - but is unfortunately not shooting to the same POI with slugs; this is why - most probably - TRUGLO does not recommend in the instruction leaflet the usage of slugs.

But what about the Poly-Choke ?

They claim that their adjustable choke is also suitable for slugs.

Has anyone hands-on experience with this device ?

DVC

THOR-HAMMER

Most 3 gun matches don't have steel far enough away that having adjustable choke helps much.

If they did have steel close and far, it would probably help. But reaching up to twist your choke puts your hands close to end of barrel and might lead to DQ for sweeping or 180. It would rattle most Ro's.

IMHO

I have a ploy choke on one of my 1100 barrels. I used if for years in 3 local gun matches and it was fine. I didn't change it much but it seemed to work fine. Unfiortunatly I had that barrel ported so now with the developemnt of 3 gun classes that barrel puts me in open class so I had to change to a regular barrel with screw in chokes to shoot limited. Having both I would rather just stick with the screw in chokes and not have to bother with all the cleaning I had to do on the Poly Choke.

Neal in AZ

Two positions past Cylinder, down to Modified-for 3 Gun with alot of shotgun stages it rocks. And the cost is normally much less than having your barrel cut, reamed and threaded for chokes (i.e. Briley)

• 7 years later...

Just bought one for a Sagia I am building. Did so after watching a guy in our local 3G matches run one on his. They like their steel at a distance around here.

Edited by Kyreb

I have a Poly choke... They do work... Patterned the gun /changed settings ... You could see the difference. .... That said, a LM will do you just fine for most everything..... I'd not change the settings during a course of fire myself...

I just bought a Polychoke (non-vented) for my M2, but haven't tried it yet. While I do run LM for most stages, my local matches occasionally have in-your-face clay only stages that are suited to cylinder (maybe even diffuser) and little-bitty PITA 4" knock-down steel at distance (Light Full for me, as it's the tightest I have, but Full or even Extra Full for some other folk). I figured, for less than the price of two Briley chokes, I could give the Poly a try and see how it works. I hope to get out and pattern it, as well as check slug zero, soon...

• 2 months later...

An update---I got out to do some shotgun practice this weekend. While my Poly-Choke did okay at sporting clays and skeet a while back, it disappointed badly for 3-gun. Shooting 6" steel from ten yards, I was barely able to knock it down, and the visual impact of the pattern on the berm showed very little difference between Cylinder and Full settings. Compared to my fixed Briley chokes, nothing on the Poly-Choke seemed to be even as tight as a Briley I.C.

So, Poly-Choke is going into the box full o' Good Ideas, never to see the light of day again. Say good night, Poly.