Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Stop Issues

horhey232

Recently my slide has randomly been going to slide lock when the magazine still has ammunition in it. I thought it could be my grip but nothing has changed on it in the last 3 years of shooting it and this problem started in the last month or so. I did recently change out to a tungsten guide rod, added a thug plug and changed to stainless steel trigger pins. I thought maybe the trigger pins but it was several matches after the change that it started to do this. I recently cleaned it and that helped for one indoor match  but it went back to doing it afterwards. It has absolutely no pattern to when it does it.

I did notice when I cleaned it that the spring on the slide stop was loose in the sense that it moved back and forth in the slide stop. Is that an indication that it needs to be replaced? I have not changed it out and have roughly 10,000 rounds through it. 

I had the same issue with my G17 it turned out to be the slide stop/release spring.  I bent the spring out to have more tension and it fixed it.  Give it a shot before you buy a new one.

Edited by tdiddi

13 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

How often does it happen? If it's frequent enough, then shoot one-handed for a bit. If it happens again, then replace the slide stop. If it doesn't, then it's your grip.

This last Steel Challenge match I went to it happened once or twice per stage (5 strings per stage if you are not familiar with Steel Challenge). Didn't happen every stage though. If I do approximate math each stage was 25 targets and to accommodate my occasional miss we will round up to 30. 7 stages x 30 per stages so roughly 210 rounds. I had it happen probably 10 times through out the 210 rounds.

I hate blaming mechanical things and would rather say it is my grip but I do not feel like my grip has changed and this all started recently. I used to have no problems at all.

This started at a Classifier match I went to a few weeks ago and there was some one handed shooting and I did not experience it then but they were such short strings I do not think it is a fair assessment of that.

It could be a combination of grip and spring? Maybe the spring is weakened at this point so it can not resist my grip?

8 hours ago, tdiddi said:

I had the same issue with my G17 it turned out to be the slide stop/release spring.  I bent the spring out to have more tension and it fixed it.  Give it a shot before you buy a new one.

I will have to give that a shot. I may steal a non extended slide stop out of one of my spare Glocks lying around and see if that does anything.

Was the extended slide stop a recent addition to this particular gun? A former world champion said the first thing he did with a new 34 was change it to a non-extended as he too often bump it up by accident.

2 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Was the extended slide stop a recent addition to this particular gun? A former world champion said the first thing he did with a new 34 was change it to a non-extended as he too often bump it up by accident.

Nope it is the original factory extended slide stop that comes on 34s. Might throw in a standard 17 slide stop and see if that changes anything.

20 hours ago, Sarge said:

Check and recheck the installation of the stop and spring. If the spring is in wrong it will have slop and lock the slide back randomly.

First thing I checked and it is properly tucked under the top pin. The spring is freely moving left and right under the pin though which I do not remember if that is normal. Also the spring moves slightly back and forth within the slide stop itself. Not sure if that can cause issues.

I don't hit the slide stop anymore on my G34 - thumb was hitting it under recoil - a Glock rep observed me shooting a compact .357 SIG with a ported barrel.

I ditched the extended slide stop 13 years ago and only use the standards.

20 hours ago, gaj529 said:

My issue was grip.  I tend to grip fairly high with my support hand.  I was actually bumping the slide stop and causing this exact thing to happen.

So it might have partially been my grip. I may have always been pushing up on it and the spring just got too week to resist my grip. I say this because my grip has relatively not changed but this only recently started happening.

In a nut shell I stole a new standard slide stop from a spare Glock 17 I had lying around and now the issue is gone.

3 hours ago, horhey232 said:

So it might have partially been my grip. I may have always been pushing up on it and the spring just got too week to resist my grip. I say this because my grip has relatively not changed but this only recently started happening.

In a nut shell I stole a new standard slide stop from a spare Glock 17 I had lying around and now the issue is gone.

I had the same issue when I tried the extended slight stop.  Using the standard slide stop never gave me any trouble.  Glad the issue is resolved.