Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Primer Pickup Tray

I have a very strange problem. The primer ickup tray i bought wih my first dillin reloading machine doesn't seem to be deep enough to be able to close and hold the primers securely. It feels like if there is a primer near to the center of the tray when you put the top on and flip it over, the primers will move and most of the time flip over when they are not supposed to. Has anyone olse noticed this problem or am I one step closed to totally losing it. Thanks

Adam

I have the real heavy Dillon tray; made of zinc, I think. I've never liked it; the only piece of Dillon hardware I would rate as A-1 crap. I can't flip it without some primers turning back over. I think it's because it's warped. I wish I had my little green plastic RCBS tray back, but it wasn't big enough in diameter to accomodate the new primer packaging where each primer is in its own little pocket. But it worked the way it was supposed to, until the dog ate it. (and, no, I'm not making that up....).

With Winchester primers, I've given up on using a primer tray, since I discovered a trick:

Winchester primers come in a flat tray. If you put something like a plastic CD case over the tray, and flip it, all the primers are neatly aligned in rows, but upside down. Cover the CD case with a hard-cover, cloth-bound book (may take some fooling with), and you can flip everything again, and now the primers are again lined up in neat rows, but right-side up, and perfectly spaced on the book cover. The material also provides enough resistance the primers don't slide about, when picking them up.

Mine works fine .. I never had it flip a primer when I didnt want it too. However I dont really understand why people complain about fliped primers that much. First of all the shacking effect that supposed to flip primers is useless as I just load up the tube with whichever primers are the right way, then flip the tray and finish the rest. Secondly, I dont know about you but I have flipped primers by mistake by knocking them with the tube and a quick bump flips them back.

It feels like the Dillon tray fits "loose", but I've never had the problem described, either. I agree with Boo - for Winchester primers, you almost don't need a flip tray, if you just handle them appropriately. I still use a tray for them - it has nice lipped sides in case I bump it or something, and saves me from chasing scattered primers :)

The one I have is a black metal. I use federal Primers almost exclusively. I guess I will call Dillon up . They have been great to me in the past, i just hate to bug them for something so stupid. Thanks

Adam

The one I have is a black metal. I use federal Primers almost exclusively. I guess I will call Dillon up . They have been great to me in the past, i just hate to bug them for something so stupid. Thanks

Adam

I agree with the previous poster that Dillons tray is one of two items they sell that's a pos. The first being that stupid bicycle wrench (bench wrench). Gotta love their presses and customer service though. I think the big problem with the primer tray is the ridges are'nt pronounced or sharp enough to flip the primers.

:)

Bronson7

I have the same (additional) problem with the Dillon tray as "Bronson 7." Not only will it not turn the primers over right, but the surface won't flip them efficiently, like my old RCBS primer tray, the primer trays on my old Lee Pro 1000s, or the primer tray that came with my RCBS priming tool. The big advantage to the Dillon (but not enough....) is that it is large enough to accommodate all the current larger primer packaging.

If the primer "guys" packaged the primers properly, you wouldn't have to shake or flip them over at all.

I bought some lead free PMC primers once and you just slide the tray off and you are done!

The primers were awful, but the packaging was good. :D

If the primer "guys" packaged the primers properly, you wouldn't have to shake or flip them over at all.

I bought some lead free PMC primers once and you just slide the tray off and you are done!

The primers were awful, but the packaging was good. :D

Agreed. I really like Federals, and I guess for safety reasons they box them on their sides. If I'm real careful. I can get the Federals on the Dillon tray and let them fall over. Because the tray doesn't work very well, it's faster to flip the few by hand.

Bronson7

If you are loading primer tubes, don't worry about shaking the flip tray to turn the primers over. Just put the primers in on one side of the tray and pick up all that are shiny side up, then flip the tray over and pick up the rest.

If you are loading primer tubes, don't worry about shaking the flip tray to turn the primers over. Just put the primers in on one side of the tray and pick up all that are shiny side up, then flip the tray over and pick up the rest.

John, that doesn't work for Federal primers. They're packaged on their sides.

Bronson7

Oops. Sorry Jon, I mis-read your post. You are correct. Another way to skin a cat using good old common sense. Thanks.

Edited by Bronson7