Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Ammo - Reload Vs Buy Facotry

1911jerry

$59 and $68 a box (500), buy 3-4k and get a small discount:

http://www.okweber.com/bullets.asp?catid=8&subcat=17

Hornady 55gr BTFMJ for $51/k that shoot MOA for most folk can be found at MidwayUsa:

Here is the part number from a recent order:

ItemID Qty Price Description

-------- ---- ------- ------------------------------------

165907 4 $50.39 Hornady Bullets 22 Caliber (1000)

Got a number of 5 gallon buckets of old LC military brass waiting for a primer pocket work (crimped) and several more buckets of mongrel range scrounge.223. I always keep 2-3k of Scharch 1x 100% process brass in stock for my good match stuff. Buy primers by 10k. I stock up on a keg or two whenever I can find good powder deals and like to keep 10+ lbs of each type I use on hand.

Yeah, I guess it really does go to the ceiling (my basement is only 6'8" clear).

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reloading 147gr Rainiers with 3.3gr of Vhit. N-320 ........ and WOW what a difference! They are MUCH softer than 115's. I can get back on target faster, and I've shot over 2000 in my G17 without a hiccup. I was mucho impressed when they helped me shoot a 498 in my local GSSF indoor match.

And, I get all of this for approx. $82/K not including the once fired brass, which is all around my range. I currently have over 5K brass already tumbled, and ready for a long winter's project! ;)

Edited by Glock24Shooter

They are MUCH softer than 115's. I can get back on target faster...

Chris,

Do you happen to have some head-to-head type results from running drills with a timer? Or, are you going off of it feeling faster?

I believe you either way, I'm just curious.

How do you figure 74 boxes? Maybe 74 cases (74,000 bullets), but that's only maybe. The fact is that I can't reload 9mm for much less than $3.50-$4 a box if I use FMJ bullets. That's about the same price I pay for Blazers. A decent reloading machine -- a Dillon SDB, 550B or 650XL -- with the tumbler, dies, gauges, calipers, reloading manuals, scale, media, etc., etc., will run anywhere from $500 and up. It would take a long time to recuperate that money given the cheap 9mm ammo at Academy or Wal-Mart. Reloading .40 and .45s is another story.

What separates out this issue for me is the fairly big price difference between the cost of factory 9mm and .40s. On the other hand, there isn't much of a price difference in terms of reloading the two calibers. It's a simple question of economics.

Winchester Whitebox at the local Walmart is now $11.69, 100 rounds...times that by 74 and you could buy your Dillon and be on your way to custom loads...9mm brass is free or dirt cheap at some ranges in my area. I just passed up a used 550 with 9mm/40 dies and other stuff for $550 so deals are out there...

michaels

• 9 months later...

I do both. I load my piles of components, then i also buy when i find cheap. I have a ammo storage harding mentality. I shoot my reloads and stockpile the factory.

I still pick up empty brass wherever I find it. I still expect ammo it increase in price. i just like to have a lot of it around.

hiro

I prefer to reload. My CZ75B likes 124gr bullets better than 115's, and I can't find a good deal on factory 124 FMJ. I buy either Montan Gold or Zero 124's and load with a max charge of Titegroup. Shoots good, moderate recoil, and the CZ just eats it up.

Try Precision Delta ammo - I just ordered a case of 9mm 124gr fmj to shoot as practice ammo as time is running tight before Area 2. Shoots at 128pf out of my CZ75b and SP01....I really enjoy reloading but at least I know it will run well out of my gun and this is the USPSA match ammo that you can ship to a match.

Hello: The way things are going it will pay to reload 9mm. Some of the guys I know have already started reloading 9 again. Also you can tailor your load for you using big bullets going slow or small bullets going fast. Thanks Eric

The only problem with loading 9's is that the price of components has gone up significantly since last year or so. I got once fired brass for ~$15/K shipped last year. Now the same source is asking for $23.33/K shipped (and I'm having a heckuva time finding single headstamp brass for less than that.) The bullets I use are up about $16/K and the primers that I got for $12/K are up to $17/K. The only thing that hasn't changed much is the price of titegroup.

So, last year, I could reload a K rounds of 9's for about $82. Now, it's closer to ~$112.

I bought a 650 just to reload 9mm and it paid for itself in under a year.

I have been reloading 124 FMJ's and n320 into range pickup brass for $70-$75/1000.

The best deal I could find for commercial ammo was closer to $125 after tax or shipping.

By the time I finished the second 4# jug of powder, the press was paid for.

I shoot 9mm Production, and until about a month ago, was using WWB in both practice and in competition. After purchasing a Dillon 550 from BE, I cannot tell you the amazing difference in felt recoil, and the time saved on splits, that I have experienced!

I take more pleasure in my shooting, and although I'm not technically saving any money, I am shooting more for the same price :D

For production, I've been buying green box Monarch 115 at Academy for $5.86 a box. The cases are brass reloadable (not to be confused with blue box steel cases.) They have been accurate and soft, about 127PF out of my Glock 17, last I checked. Seem to be cleaner than WWB too.

I also do both. I found a deal on Speer Lawman a while back at Big 5 and bought a ton of it. I also buy WWB at WalMart now and then. The reloads are used in competition. VV330, and 124g MG JHP's feel super sweet in my 1911.