Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4 hours ago, L3324temp said:

I would think the 9mm version would need to be blowback to be reliable so that is probably a good thing.

The port for the gas tappet on an M1 is only a couple inches from the end of the chamber, I think with an appropriately sized hole there would be enough gas to cycle the action. The Sig MPX is gas operated and it works just fine. 

I only argue the point because in my mind, the gas system is part of what makes an M1 an M1, and you lose a big chunk of the coolness factor without it. But not everyone is going to share my opinion, of course. My only point is that it doesn't NEED to be blowback.

carbines are great little guns. when looking to buy, you really have to do some research and be somewhat educated on them before spending money. there is a giant swing between junk carbines, and very nice all correct collectable carbines. if you've watched the price of carbines over the last 20 or 40yrs, they are an investment if you stick with USGI guns.

1 hour ago, lefty o said:

carbines are great little guns. when looking to buy, you really have to do some research and be somewhat educated on them before spending money. there is a giant swing between junk carbines, and very nice all correct collectable carbines. if you've watched the price of carbines over the last 20 or 40yrs, they are an investment if you stick with USGI guns.

Yes but you REALLY need to know your facts if you want to buy a gun as an investment. There were just shy of a dozen manufacturers, Winchester, Saginaw, Underwood, National postal meter.... Hell I.B.M. even made the things. Naturally some manufacturers are more desirable than others. Then you have to worry about things like the cartouches, and the date on the barrel has to match the receiver's serial number.... then all the small parts... are they original? was it rebuilt by an arsenal? which arsenal and how many times? Is it WWII pattern, or was it rebuilt for Korea?

They are highly collectable and people know this, and a portion of those people are dishonest; it can be easy to loose your shirt if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. If you are interested in getting a rife as an investment, I would get Bruce Canfield's book and read it, and i mean really read it. 

If you just want one to shoot, then the cartouches and whatnot don't matter, and I would recommend looking for one that is in good shape for a good price, i.e. I would select one using the same criteria as you would any other used gun, and then just take it out and have fun with it. I've shot dozens and never have any of them had "reliability issues," I mean, I'm sure there are lemons out there, but all the usgi guns were well built, with quality materials.  Even the "shooter" grade guns will appreciate significantly in value with time, assuming you don't let them get rusty.

FWIW SGAmmo.com has Korean surplus .30 Carbine for sale for around 35 cents a round, which is a great price.

7 hours ago, NateTheSkate said:

Yes but you REALLY need to know your facts if you want to buy a gun as an investment. There were just shy of a dozen manufacturers, Winchester, Saginaw, Underwood, National postal meter.... Hell I.B.M. even made the things. Naturally some manufacturers are more desirable than others. Then you have to worry about things like the cartouches, and the date on the barrel has to match the receiver's serial number.... then all the small parts... are they original? was it rebuilt by an arsenal? which arsenal and how many times? Is it WWII pattern, or was it rebuilt for Korea?

They are highly collectable and people know this, and a portion of those people are dishonest; it can be easy to loose your shirt if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. If you are interested in getting a rife as an investment, I would get Bruce Canfield's book and read it, and i mean really read it. 

If you just want one to shoot, then the cartouches and whatnot don't matter, and I would recommend looking for one that is in good shape for a good price, i.e. I would select one using the same criteria as you would any other used gun, and then just take it out and have fun with it. I've shot dozens and never have any of them had "reliability issues," I mean, I'm sure there are lemons out there, but all the usgi guns were well built, with quality materials.  Even the "shooter" grade guns will appreciate significantly in value with time, assuming you don't let them get rusty.

FWIW SGAmmo.com has Korean surplus .30 Carbine for sale for around 35 cents a round, which is a great price.

like i said, you really have to do your research. i did tons of mind numbing reading/researching before buying my rockola years ago.

Edited by lefty o