Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Dad got an Underwood M1 Carbine back in the early to mid 60s.  Ordered it from the DCM (pre-CMP) in Anniston, AL.  Says if he remembers correctly he paid $23 or $24 dollars and change for it shipped.  Wish he had bought a truck load of them.

24 minutes ago, s2000red said:

My Dad got an Underwood M1 Carbine back in the early to mid 60s.  Ordered it from the DCM (pre-CMP) in Anniston, AL.  Says if he remembers correctly he paid $23 or $24 dollars and change for it shipped.  Wish he had bought a truck load of them.

Yeah, no kidding. I’m not even going to mess with getting an original from CMP. Seems they cost as much or more than new ones from various makers

40 minutes ago, Pippu_Paladin said:

I'll be interested to see your experiences with it once you buy your M1 Carbine. I've always wanted one but the reliability issues deter me.

A long long time ago a high school buddy’s dad had one. We ran box after box of ammo through it with very few issues

You can't get an original from CMP , they've been sold out for a long time. And yes the used originals are very expensive. The one I had was at Universal if I remember correct it did have some GI parts and it ran well with the 15 round mags, but the 30 rounders were iffy.

7 minutes ago, RJH said:

You can't get an original from CMP , they've been sold out for a long time. And yes the used originals are very expensive. The one I had was at Universal if I remember correct it did have some GI parts and it ran well with the 15 round mags, but the 30 rounders were iffy.

7 minutes ago, RJH said:

Figured as much about CMP since all I saw was a Carbine receiver on auction currently at $500.

Inland is back in production and they can be had for around a thousand bucks or less

My very first center fire rifle was a Universal M1 Carbine.  I wanted one after watching The Eagle Has Landed.  There were a ton of them in that movie and they sounded really quiet.  As a young boy, who had been teased by an uncle with fireworks, quieter seemed better.......

Now look at me.

I remember 30 carbines stuffed in a barrel at the Army surplus stores in the early '60's. They were $20 each. If I only knew. There are a number of M1 carbine groups on the internet but they all seem to look down on the modern versions. Luckily I got a '44 Winchester about 10 years ago (for a lot more than $20 😝), But I did buy a Garand last year from the CMP, they called it their special version, early 50's receiver and action, new barrel and wood. No real historical value, but it looks like a new rifle. Both are safe queens, but I have an extra Dillon 550 set up for loading 30 Carbine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 11:02 AM, Pippu_Paladin said:

I'll be interested to see your experiences with it once you buy your M1 Carbine. I've always wanted one but the reliability issues deter me.

That's because there's a lot of crap out there put together by clueless people.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:17 AM, s2000red said:

You could only buy one lifetime back then.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:57 AM, Sarge said:

Figured as much about CMP since all I saw was a Carbine receiver on auction currently at $500.

Inland is back in production and they can be had for around a thousand bucks or less

For reals? I have a bag full of receivers somewhere.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 1:59 PM, ima45dv8 said:

I've always thought they had a very high Coolness factor. 

Me too. I had a stack of them back in the day when you could by the parts needed to make them full auto from Shotgun News. There's not a whole lot more fun to be had than blasting up cars in the junkyard with a full auto carbine.

IMHO Bruce Canfield's book is hard to beat, especially if you are interested in collecting. Kuhnhausen's book is excellent as well, but it a little more on the technical side.

You should be able to answer just about any question you might have with those two books alone.

11 hours ago, NateTheSkate said:

I'm pretty sure the Chiappa rifles aren't a true M1 clone, they are straight blowback if i remember correctly...

Probably, but I'm not sure if that is very important. I mean there aren't many reasons to get an M1 these days besides personal taste/coolness factor so if you like the idea of an M1 Carbine that takes Beretta 92 mags that's all there is to it.