Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Production

rupie

I was reading the rule book and it says that glock 34 is legal for production as long as it meets the other standards, what else does it need? Is it the 5 lb trigger pull? can I change the sights?

I was reading the rule book and it says that glock 34 is legal for production as long as it meets the other standards, what else does it need? Is it the 5 lb trigger pull? can I change the sights?

yes it is legal gun. you can practically do everything except a magwell and any other external mods. no weights on the light rail, which is stupid to begin with.

what I believe most people in do in uspsa is:

adjustable sights (dawson, heine)

lighten recoil spring is ok 13lb or lighter if you can(ISMI)

3.5lb connector would be good or Ralph Sotello trigger job. or do the .25 trigger job yourself.

you can change out your barrel if it is the same length.

grip tape or tape under the trigger gaurd is ok

Alot of the things you can do that are performance enhancing, are ok.

If they can't see it, its probably ok. If you have any specific questions call them directly.

hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
Is shooting a G35 with a kkm conversion barrel to 9mm legal for production?

do not believe that is legal..as not a production gun..if you have a G35..might as well just shoot 40 at minor..a few people have said that is a good way to go..

G34..shoot the factory trigger or get a trigger job..new sights.. and some grip tape..change out recoil spring..

thats about all you can do..don't put a plug in your gun..that will get you to open

Edited by eerw

A Glock35 with a 9mm conversion barrel is not legal in USPSA Production.

Not to drift too much, but how about a 35 with a factory 9mm top end (with a change in the ejector). If you've got a 17 or 34 top end, who could tell, short of looking up the frame's serial #, that what you've got isn't stone stock from the factory?

If it isn't legal, it ought to be, IMHO (no competitive advantage-what you would have is the same as a factory gun). And if it isn't legal, who could tell?

Not to drift too much, but how about a 35 with a factory 9mm top end (with a change in the ejector). If you've got a 17 or 34 top end, who could tell, short of looking up the frame's serial #, that what you've got isn't stone stock from the factory?

You.

If it isn't legal, it ought to be, IMHO (no competitive advantage-what you would have is the same as a factory gun). And if it isn't legal, who could tell?

See above. ;)

A G34 is legal for USPSA. If you are considering ever shooting an international IPSC match, I'd suggest the G17. You can put all the aftermarket stuff in the G17 for USPSA (no external mods), and switch back to stock configuration for IPSC.

The only thing I think that needs to be added to the discussion is to be sure you're looking at US Production rules. You mentioned 5 lb trigger pull which tells me you were looking at the international rules. We don't have trigger pull limits in the US.

You.

See above. ;)

Yes, indeed, I would know, and am asking, if I were to announce the change to anybody else, whether they would care one way or another.

My point was that the changing the top ends on what amounts to a nearly universal receiver gives you another gun, identical to the factory version with that same top end, and with factory parts, so much alike, in fact, that only a serial # check would tell the difference. So why should such a switch be disallowed?

I guess I'm asking for a better understanding of why changes from the OEM caliber are disallowed B) . If it's because of some competitive advantage gained, I don't see that in this scenario. B)

You.

See above. ;)

Yes, indeed, I would know, and am asking, if I were to announce the change to anybody else, whether they would care one way or another.

My point was that the changing the top ends on what amounts to a nearly universal receiver gives you another gun, identical to the factory version with that same top end, and with factory parts, so much alike, in fact, that only a serial # check would tell the difference. So why should such a switch be disallowed?

I guess I'm asking for a better understanding of why changes from the OEM caliber are disallowed B) . If it's because of some competitive advantage gained, I don't see that in this scenario. B)

Most of the time there is no competitive advantage..but most of it ( the ruled )is an attempt to draw the line somewhere..

the division is called production...its called that for a reason..the intent is to have competitors shoot a gun that is in production, is not modified considerably and can easily be found..

the point is..someone will probably care...I've seen too many disagreements over things that make no difference in the end..but yet we argue..so yes..someone will care and someone will protest and if a modification is done that is "perceived" outside the rules..you will shoot open..

heck is my gun legal...I believe so..it is what is shot with the same modifications by shooters at National and World level matches...good enough for me..

Given our natural propensity to argue, and especially given a competitive venue with something at stake, like the Nats, you're probably right.

Still, using factory, unmodified parts to turn a Production legal 40 into what would be a Production legal 9mm, if bought off the shelf w/ the same parts, doesn't seem any stretch of the intent of the Production Division, especially given what many folks do to modify their stock guns (at least internally) to make them run better (and gain a competitive advantage ;) ).

A switched top end 9mm and a stock 9mm side by side would be identical externally, and internally as well with just a quick and allowable change in the trigger group and extractor. All OEM parts. Other than the normal gun to gun variation, no difference in shooting performance, yet one is not allowed in Production and the other is not.

I should not have suggested going around the rules - my apologies. It's more my wanting to know why such a change should be against the rules, because I honestly don't feel that it should be.

I can't say that I have a better understanding, but I do get the sense of how some might feel, and what might happen at a major match (not that I'd ever be a threat to anyone :D ). Thank you!

:P

• 1 month later...
...After back-and-forth emails with John Amidon, the interpretation is: swapping complete uppers from 40 to 9 is OK. Simply plugging a 9mm barrel into a 40 slide is not. I can see the logic, even if it makes me crazy. However, the chances of Springfield selling me (or anyone) a 9mm slide to make a setup, or offering such a setup, are remote in the extreme.

Just an update, courtesy of the good Mr. Sweeny. He was talking about XD's, but it sounds as though a top end Glock switch would be kosher, at least in USPSA.