Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 OR vs milled gun

RAINY0DAYS

New to CZs and looking into getting an S2 for CO. With the OR guns out, is it a better choice than getting a complete milled gun from fire 4 effect/ CGW/ CZC? Seems with the milled guns that the optic would sit lower, and you'd get the benefit of their trigger job. On the other hand, for the price difference I could always upgrade the trigger on an OR myself later down the road.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Price of OR gun is about same as a Shadow 2 and getting milled.

both will benefit fro trigger work, so overall price is about the same. 

OR gun uses same plate as P10 OR. So perhaps that’s a benefit. 

don’t overthink it. Get either and shoot!

I did not know this. One of the reasons I was hesitating on a shadow 2 OR slide is plate availability but many manufacturers make plates for the p10f now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

Seems with the milled guns that the optic would sit lower

That's absolutely not a given.  And even if it were true in every case, once you hard cut a gun you're

1. Married to that optic footprint forever
  2. Can't revert back to irons without it looking stupid with a big gaping hole on top of the slide.

I milled one of my pistols and absolutely regret it.  My other two optic pistols came that way (P-10F and P-10C OR).

Factory cut with a cover plate and optic plates is absolutely the way to go.

Okay follow up question. I noticed that some places still offer the slide cuts to make the old CO weight. Fire 4 effect claims they help and still recommend them even with the new rules.

Worth getting the cuts or no? I don't care at all about how it looks really, just want to buy the best option the first time.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I kind of got lucky and saw the CO rule change as far as weight (old 45oz max to new/now 59oz max) the day before I was going to send off a new-to-me regular S2 to get cut/milled... then, somehow got lucky again and scored one of the first S2 OR's released in the US. I'm sure the rule change has pissed a lot of guys off who had spent the money to make weight (and I was very nearly one of them)...

Cost-wise, it ended up being nearly a wash getting the factory S2OR vs getting a regular one cut (and I mean cut for the optic only... which is a bunch cheaper than what the extra milling a lot of guys had to do in order to make weight previously cost). But, that's only because I also somehow didn't have to pay top dollar for mine, they're so new right now that most of them (if you can find one) are overpriced by $100-150 or more right now if the dealer knows what they've got. And, I got my regular S2 for $1000, which is a hard price to find at this time now too.

Honestly though, that took a lot of things breaking right for me for things to get close money-wise, and once you factor in re-nitriding/coating the slide, and shipping and such... IMHO, chances are having a regular S2 cut for an optic is still probably more expensive than just buying an S2OR.

Then there's the wait time, some of the shops turn things around faster than others, but most are 3-4 weeks if not longer, and then seems you usually have to end up picking a lesser slide finish (like Cerakote or whatever instead of Nitride/DLC) versus adding to your turnaround time...

For me, the factory S2OR is the better way to go because I'm new to CO and with me not 1000% in love with a particular optic just yet, having my slide not married to a certain optic/cut for now and forever is a huge plus. Also, and I haven't really heard about this with Cz's/Shadow's, but if an aftermarket shop cuts your slide and it cracks/breaks, you're out of luck, no warranty... not that big of a deal if it's a Glock where sub-$200 optics-ready slides are out there all-day no problem, but it is a problem when a Shadow slide is around $500-750 and tough to track down.

As far as a cut/milled slide having the optic sit lower: yeah, maybe some of them by a few millimeters, but that's about it... the optic sits pretty low on the factory S2OR, I was definitely surprised how low the optic sits. 

The trigger job thing is a separate deal altogether, either gun can be sent off for that (but IMHO I think it's best to just buy the right parts and learn to do it yourself), I wouldn't factor that into the cost of getting a slide cut/milled unless one is absolutely decided they'd rather pay for a shop to do the trigger job. 

Edited by ck1

I kind of got lucky and saw the CO rule change as far as weight (old 45oz max to new/now 59oz max) the day before I was going to send off a new-to-me regular S2 to get cut/milled... then, somehow got lucky again and scored one of the first S2 OR's released in the US. I'm sure the rule change has pissed a lot of guys off who had spent the money to make weight (and I was very nearly one of them)...
Cost-wise, it ended up being nearly a wash getting the factory S2OR vs getting a regular one cut (and I mean cut for the optic only... which is a bunch cheaper than what the extra milling a lot of guys had to do in order to make weight previously cost). But, that's only because I also somehow didn't have to pay top dollar for mine, they're so new right now that most of them (if you can find one) are overpriced by $100-150 or more right now if the dealer knows what they've got. And, I got my regular S2 for $1000, which is a hard price to find at this time now too.
Honestly though, that took a lot of things breaking right for me for things to get close money-wise, and once you factor in re-nitriding/coating the slide, and shipping and such... IMHO, chances are having a regular S2 cut for an optic is still probably more expensive than just buying an S2OR.

Then there's the wait time, some of the shops turn things around faster than others, but most are 3-4 weeks if not longer, and then seems you usually have to end up picking a lesser slide finish (like Cerakote or whatever instead of Nitride/DLC) versus adding to your turnaround time...

For me, the factory S2OR is the better way to go because I'm new to CO and with me not 1000% in love with a particular optic just yet, having my slide not married to a certain optic/cut for now and forever is a huge plus. Also, and I haven't really heard about this with Cz's/Shadow's, but if an aftermarket shop cuts your slide and it cracks/breaks, you're out of luck, no warranty... not that big of a deal if it's a Glock where sub-$200 optics-ready slides are out there all-day no problem, but it is a problem when a Shadow slide is around $500-750 and tough to track down.

As far as a cut/milled slide having the optic sit lower: yeah, maybe some of them by a few millimeters, but that's about it... the optic sits pretty low on the factory S2OR, I was definitely surprised how low the optic sits. 
Thank you!

Unfortunately I do not live in a free state so I cannot just purchase a shadow 2 or shadow 2 OR.

So I have to get it milled for plates or get lucky on purchasing a OR slide somewhere.

If getting a slide cut is all you can do, then I’d say go for it, just use someone who’s established and not new to the party.

FYI/FWIW, if you can’t get one cut to use P-10OR/S2OR plates, you can just choose a “team”, IMHO the best “teams” right now are: team Trijicon/Holosun, or team C-More/Sig Romeo3Max/XL... lol.

If getting a slide cut is all you can do, then I’d say go for it, just use someone who’s established and not new to the party.

FYI/FWIW, if you can’t get one cut to use P-10OR/S2OR plates, you can just choose a “team”, IMHO the best “teams” right now are: team Trijicon/Holosun, or team C-More/Sig Romeo3Max/XL... lol.
Hahha yeah I was debating the plate system from cz customs which is closest to the OR or the specific mill from CGW.

Just now, chomorro said:

Hahha yeah I was debating the plate system from cz customs which is closest to the OR or the specific mill from CGW.

For just figuring it out, if you’re aren’t sold either way, you might want to check out the EGW dovetail mounts... most of the dovetail mounting options seem pretty crappy, but theirs don’t look nearly as bad as most of them...

For IPSC, if you go milled, you can only shoot Production Optic. If you go with the S2 OR, you can go back and forth between Production and Production Optic.

Whether that makes a difference to you or not is up to you.

5 hours ago, chomorro said:

Thank you!

Unfortunately I do not live in a free state so I cannot just purchase a shadow 2 or shadow 2 OR.

So I have to get it milled for plates or get lucky on purchasing a OR slide somewhere.

If your state allows you to just purchase the slide. Cajun sells OR slides for the S2.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/cz-shadow-2-optic-ready-slide/

I forgot to mention before that there is definitely one obvious big pro for buying another OR slide if one can find one: if one plans to swap between CO and Production, that’s definitely the best way to go even if it ends up costing a little more. A swap is an easy process that way and takes only seconds with 2 slides. The guys who’ve mentioned that, in getting another slide, have a great point. Plus, if one then decides they only need 1 slide for that gun, it’ll be easy to find a buyer for the extra one down the road.
Yeah, the S2OR can do both, but now that I’ve got an optic mounted and setup, I’ll probably never put the iron-sighted plate back on again unless I totally decide to abandon CO... it’s just too much of a PIA to go back and forth, my iron-sighted plate will more than likely spend the rest of its life in a box.

Edited by ck1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two slides milled for optics.  Neither is perfect.  One uses a plate and wasn't milled quite right so I had to shim the plate to get the optic to zero.  The other was milled too low and the venom light sensor is buried in the slide, so I have to use manual adjust.  Both were done by reputable CZ smiths, the one that is too low was a retrofit on a slide that had a target adjustable sight.  I would 100% say buy the OR version, also if it is a standard plate, then you can shift plates if you decide to go from a vortex to a trijicon or whatever, instead of having the slide re-milled.