Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX Weight balance

I've been slowly slowly coming to grips with going from an AR9 to the MPX. I still get the feeling the gun is floating out in front of me. I think it's a combo of the receiver just being a little longer meaning my forehand grip is not as close to the end of the gun even with the stock fully collapsed but also...

weight balance.

It's very front heavy. I was actually thinking of perhaps throwing a buffer and spring into the M4 tube just to try to get the balance a little further back. How dumb is this idea?

Edited by PigSnowball

I had the same feeling that the mpx was too front heavy. My solution was to replace the stock barrel with a 4.5” barrel with aluminium shroud to get it to 16”. Then I replaced the heavy stock handguard with an isler carbon finer handguard. Took a ton of weight off and swings way better in this setup.

2 hours ago, TeedOff said:

I had the same feeling that the mpx was too front heavy. My solution was to replace the stock barrel with a 4.5” barrel with aluminium shroud to get it to 16”. Then I replaced the heavy stock handguard with an isler carbon finer handguard. Took a ton of weight off and swings way better in this setup.

This is almost exactly what I did but with 8 inch barrels added 8 in al shrouds. Combined with carbon handguards its a different gun that way.

I went with a Lancer 14" handguard, then added a heavier stock. Both of these helped a little, but I also added a spare buffer and weight to the buffer tube which ended up balancing it out pretty well. Overall it added weight to the gun but it has not been noticeable in competition and transitions really well

I think I switched from AR9 to MPX early on enough to where I don't notice the balance being different all that much... That said, I have been through 3 different stocks and 3 different grips (not counting the OEM Sig stuff I took off pretty much immediately) trying to find the right feel for me. IMO, when picking up one next to the other, I actually tend to prefer the balance of the MPX because I think I like having most of the weight in my hands instead of towards the back. Could just be familiarity, but it doesn't feel front-heavy to me and I run the stock 16" barrel. YMMV type of thing.