Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 244 powder

pcschwenke

Has any tried this powder for .380 auto or 9mm?  I’ve been using TG in both calibers with good results, but noticed in the manuals that 244 pushes the .380 loads about 100fps faster.   I didn’t know 244 even existed!   Thanks in advance.   I have quite a bit of TG, but will need more powder Within the next month or so.  

Thanks Guy!  I’m not trying to make major, just a decent plinking powder for 9mm, and a little higher performance from an .380 (I know a 9mm is better).   TiteGroup works well, just isn’t ideal for .380 and high FPS loads.  Seems to be a low-mid performance powder in .380.

well 244 is slower than TG, so assuming you can get the charge in the case its gonna produce more velocity assuming you have enough barrel to burn it. Are you chronographing your loads or looking at a book that is using a longer barrel than you have for data.  
Its basically a new improved 231,  also I am sure cheaper . Takes up less room than 231, IRRC probably about the same as tightgroup.
to make as well. Seems to be marketed as better for coated bullets.

I haven’t chronographed them yet, but based on the Winchester reloading info, TG is quite a bit slower overall.  The barrel length is something I didn’t think about however.   Our family has 2 different .380 pistols.   One is short (my 911), and the other (EZ .380) is about the same length as the Hodgdon test barrel.   Most of my experience is with .45ACP, which I have been loading for 30 years.  I do a lot of steel plate & bowling pin matches and have a lot of experience with different powders.   I really like WST, but it’s not recommended for .380...   

Tiregroup has a faster burn rate, but slower FPS with similar pressures and same Bullets.   The 244 powder obviously has a slower burn rate. There are not many powders much faster than TG.  Sorry for throwing that in the way I did.   I may pick up Bullseye and mess with that as well.  Seems to be a decent powder for 9mm as well.   Over 25 years ago I switched to WST and haven’t looked back.  I’ve only shot .45 for many years.   Within the past 5 years, I picked up 5 different 9mms & a couple .380s.

4 hours ago, pcschwenke said:

Tiregroup has a faster burn rate, but slower FPS with similar pressures and same Bullets.   The 244 powder obviously has a slower burn rate. There are not many powders much faster than TG.  Sorry for throwing that in the way I did.   

Gotcha, thanks. 

I use 244 all the time with 9mm. Only load I’ve measured was 4.3 with a 124 plated Everglades. 1058 from a G17. A touch faster from my CZ75. 
Just tried it with 380 but haven’t chronoed yet. It surely felt more powerful than my usual TG load. 

Just loaded my first batch of 147 gr Blue Bullets with 3.2 Gr of 244..OAL 1.132... shoots nice and easy in my Sig Legion but I haven't gotten any chrono results yet so zero help there.

Edited by Msnthrp451
added data