Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 244

jschweg

I couldn't find another post about this, but has anyone tried W244?

Looks like it just came out about a month ago and it's starting to show up for sale.

Based on the description it almost looks like the "new" 231, but has a burn rate closer to WSF.

It should be a pretty good minor powder, but I can't see it being all that different then 231 or WSF.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've ordered some and it should be here next week.  Yes, it does look very similar to 231, though it might produce more speed than 231. Either way, I look forward to trying it.
Yeah, that's what interested me since I use 231 for my 9mm loads. Better velocities out of the heavier bullets and cleaner burning.

If you work some loads up, post back and lemme know how you like it.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:52 AM, jschweg said:

Yeah, that's what interested me since I use 231 for my 9mm loads. Better velocities out of the heavier bullets and cleaner burning.

If you work some loads up, post back and lemme know how you like it.

I want to try the new 244 for 9 also however can't find it yet. I just loaded some 9 minor with the new Alliant "Sport Pistol", same 3.2 gr as TG, shoots softer, great SD #'s. Alliant says it was created for coated bullets...

Been using 231 for years and my local distributor said he is getting a couple boxes of the new 244 in on Monday. I'll write back once I try it out, but he seems to think this is basically an improved 231.

Yes, I emailed Hodgdon just to get some more information and that is what they alluded to. Slightly slower than 231, much less sooty, and little copper fouling because of the cleaning agent they have.

So basically 231 with more modern chemistry.

10 hours ago, Rjracing said:

Been using 231 for years and my local distributor said he is getting a couple boxes of the new 244 in on Monday. I'll write back once I try it out, but he seems to think this is basically an improved 231.

What calibers have you been loading with it?

Thx!

2 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

What calibers have you been loading with it?

Thx!

Currently I'm only using 231 for 9mm mouse fart loads... but I've used it for 45 and 38spl in the past with ok results. I'm going to start testing 244 with 9mm too.

4 hours ago, jschweg said:

Yes, I emailed Hodgdon just to get some more information and that is what they alluded to. Slightly slower than 231, much less sooty, and little copper fouling because of the cleaning agent they have.

So basically 231 with more modern chemistry.

That makes sense, basically everything Im looking for. I love 231 because of its flexibility and lack of sensitivity, I'm hoping this new formula is the same.

Edited by Rjracing

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I got a pound of 244 in today. (along with a pound of sport pistol) I plan on chronoing a load tomorrow for both. Going to try 3.20 for the Win244 under a 147gr plated bullet.

Awesome. Looking forward to your results. A comparison with Sport Pistol would be great considering it seems to be all the rage at the moment.

I think this powder is just fine from my initial testing today. 

Extreme spread of fps was 16fps across 10 rounds. For a 147 plated out of a shadow 2 I needed 3.30 grains.

Recoil felt very similar to titegroup. Slight smell, not nearly as strong as wst or wsf. Gun did not get super hot. 

10 rounds free style all went into the size of a post it note at 15y. Exterior of gun was reasonably clean.

Shape is an irregular flattened disc. Very small, not super dense.

Only 50 rounds shooting it was not enough to see the clean effect of the ammo.

If you're curious I see no reason not to try it. 

• 5 months later...

superdude

rowdyb

Have you continued to use 244 for the season? report back any results, thoughts, opinions? 

I'm interested in getting some and figured I'd get some more feedback from you all first. I'm looking to use for 9 minor through a Shadow 2.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking through Hodgdons actual load data for 9mm 124's and 147's..  and 40 155's and 180's it seems like 244 is faster burning the the placement on the burnchart would have you believe  Looks like its alot more like TG or WST than Unique.  Need to see if the LGS has a lb I can try before I bulk order.. Havent found any SP. 

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to put together some test rounds in the coming days.  Based on the Hodgdons data I'm going to load up some tests right in the middle under a 125gr Gallant bullet and see what happens.  The plan is to chrono and see where it stands, do some accuracy testing and see how smoky it is.  I don't shoot plated bullets, so I'm sure that the reduced copper fouling isn't a concern.  

But since I'm running Open Minor for Steel Challenge, interested to see if it makes the comp effective.

I decided to pass, as I just noticed the volume chart on this.. 244 is a very low volume powder,, even worse than Tightgroup,,, I just dont see this powder as being consistent at lower charge weights... Probably why people passed on it when it first came out.

I ran 20 rounds of 3.9gr. under a 125 Gallant coated bullet. Came up with an average of 1075 ft/sec. So 137pf...

So why the 3.9? That was middle of the range and I didn't feel like doing a massive work up. Looks like I can drop the charge, but have to make sure to inspect each case to make sure there is powder in there. Doesn't fill the case much.

Was also running a comp to test my open Minor and the 244 seems a bit smokey, but that might have been compounded with the Hi-Tek coated bullet.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk