Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm and hp38

Deeslwrk

So I have been using the same recipe for my 9mm for a while,.355" 115gr xtreme with 5.0 grains of hp38 and coal of 1.126". I haven't chronod any loads in a while so I took a few at random and checked them in 2 guns today. 1st gun is an XDM withers 5.25" barrel and second is a 2011 with a 5" barrel. I was getting 1250fps average out of both guns. I checked my charge weight before loading and after I got back from the range today and it's 5 grains +- .1. Should I back off on the powder or do yall think it could be the chrono I'm using is reading fast. I don't have a second chrono to check it against. 

I was just curious about why I'm getting an extra 120 fps over the velocity posted for that recipe. Not really wanting to change it,  just curious if the extra inch of barrel could account for that much increase in speed

47 minutes ago, Deeslwrk said:

why I'm getting an extra 120 fps over the velocity posted for that recipe.

It would be rare, in my experience, to get the same velocity with the same load

that someone else got.

They may have been using a shorter barrel, or their barrel may be "slower" than

yours.

I'm actually surprised you got the same velocity in your two guns.

The load should be safe, but if you don't want a PF of 144, you can certainly

cut back on the load and get it down closer to 130 or so.   Up to you ...

That is a pretty standard load for 115gr bullets.

Remember when buying powder that Winchester 231 is the same powder in a different can. Even so the HP38 is generally about $1/lb cheaper for some reason.

Thanks for all the input.  I didn't think about the xtreme plated being that big a difference from the jacketed bullet, that's probably a big factor.  I'm definitely keeping the load how it is is been a good reliable setup and very accurate in my equipment 

36 minutes ago, Deeslwrk said:

Thanks for all the input.  I didn't think about the xtreme plated being that big a difference from the jacketed bullet, that's probably a big factor.  I'm definitely keeping the load how it is is been a good reliable setup and very accurate in my equipment 

For plated bullets you want to look at lead bullet loads for comparison

On 5/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, Deeslwrk said:

Yep, do what works.