Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roll Sized Brass

Larry White

Scott, for a few years I have been useing one fired police range brass and the EGW U die. Its a good setup and produces good ammo cheap. But at least on my press it has a few small but pita problems that just slow you down. I gave the EGW die away and bought another one so was without a die for a while.I had about 1500 cases that I knew were fired in my guns( zero glock) so I put my dillon sizer back in and loaded that brass. What a diffrence, faster, smoother, just better. 1500 rds, 1 reject. I just want to try some roll sized, may switch, may not. When I was shooting super in open I roll sized everthing and had no problems.-----Larry

A good portion of my once-fired 40 brass has been through a glock with the guppied belly. I started with a dillon sizing die and had about 1/500 not pass the gauge. I then tried a EGW undersize die but ended up crushing about 4-5 cases per 500. Not a big deal but it interrupts my flow so I went back to the Dillon.

Roll sizing would be nice but I don't think it's worth the time or effort. Once it's been through the die and through your gun once, (if it not a glock) rollsizing becomes unecessary. That's why I only use twice or more fired brass for matches.

Edited by al503

This may have been covered before, I use the Dillon die in station 1 on the 650 and the U die on station 2, moving the powder drop to 3, seat on 4, and crimp on 5. Since I moved the powder drop over to 3, I have very few issues with oversize brass. Since the Dillon die starts the process, sizing in 2 stages seems to cut down on effort.

Vince

I still dont understand the term "roll sizing" I have used only the dillon sizing die for my 9mm loads and I shoot them in all my glocks and my 1911 springfield 9mm ,and have not had one problem yet.

Is roll sizing just something for the open gun guys?

I have a custom build "pin gun" 45 acp and load all the loads with dillon dies and shoot them with no trouble out of the hart barrel in the gun!

thanks

Jeff

Jeff, simply put roll sizing is rolling the case between two flat steel plates in a machine to return the case to factory dimentions. It sizes everthing including the rim. It is mostly is effective in the smaller high pressure cases such as the 9mm(38 super, 38 super comp ect used in open division) It also will remove the buldge in 40 brass that has been shot in unsupported chambers(glock). A low pressure rount such as 45 acp will not expand the case enough to need it. Some people feel the roll sizeing work hardens the case too much, but I dont feel it can be any worse than useing a under size die. I hope this helps.-----Larry

Edited by lkytx

Been there, done all that, useing the shirt for a dust rag. Just trying to get back to a basic all dillon set up.------Larry

Here is a link to the Casepro. Look it over and see if one of these is right for you. Everyone in my area is shooting 40 S&W is shooting brass that has been through a Casepro because of the higher round pressure. The owner of this company is actually a local shooter and firearms instructor. Hope this helps.

Casepro

Here's what I do to take care of bulged brass; its not as through as roll sizeing and it only works with rimless cases but its cheep and easy.

Take a Lee FCD die, remove the guts (knob and floating colar), and set it in the press. Then get a brass, flat head machine screw from the hard wear store. You want a 1/4 inch bolt, 3 or 4 inches long. With a little fileing on the head of the bolt it will fit under the shell plate. Then, cut on the length of the bolt to adjust the length of the bolt so there's room to put a piece of brass over the top of the bolt (primer side up). Then you should be able to use the press to force the brass backwards through the lee die, where you can pick if off the top of the die. Processing it through the carbide sizing ring in the Lee die will return the diameter of the brass to factor spec, moving the buldge brass back into the side walls where it should be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...