Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intro to USPSA class

5 hours ago, HCH said:

One more thing to consider:

how many new shooters have we all seen show up to a match and NOT get DQ’d? I’ve been shooting USPSA for 15 years or so and can count on one hand the number of guys that have done something blatantly stupid and got sent home for it. 

On the flip side, there’s no telling how many I’ve seen come through and shoot a safe match. No classes, no formal training on safety; just the typical MD talk and help from the squad. I think those numbers speak for themselves. 

Sure, a class MIGHT have kept the dumb ones from getting sent home, but there are no guarantees. Or a class might keep the dumb ones from ever showing up at all... which is a win in itself.....

NOBODY is asking for guarantees.

If you have something useful to contribute, please do.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

The thing is, people believe themselves to be in the second group, and based on my experience teaching these types of classes, are more likely to be in the first group. The majority of gun owners are terrifyingly oblivious to proper gun handling.

Exactly.  My years of shooting both competitive and recreational sporting clays are PLENTY of evidence that the average experienced shooter doesn't know a damn thing about safely handling a firearm.

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

The thing is, people believe themselves to be in the second group, and based on my experience teaching these types of classes, are more likely to be in the first group. The majority of gun owners are terrifyingly oblivious to proper gun handling.

I have no problem calling people out and failing them out of the class. Then recommend they get more experience and try the competition class again after some remedial training. 

35 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

I have no problem calling people out and failing them out of the class. Then recommend they get more experience and try the competition class again after some remedial training. 

My intro class is an hour of powerpoint, and then some blue gun work, then an hour of dryfire in the classroom before I even think about being in the same room with these people and live ammo. 

My intro class is an hour of powerpoint, and then some blue gun work, then an hour of dryfire in the classroom before I even think about being in the same room with these people and live ammo. 

Same. No guns or gear in the classroom. After lunch we go to the range and the gear up under uspsa rules with safe table and everything.

Beat the process into them! Lol

On 5/13/2020 at 4:06 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

NOBODY is asking for guarantees.

If you have something useful to contribute, please do.

I thought this forum was about opinions on USPSA shooting. 

My apologies that mine does not align with yours.