Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock G20 Gen2,3,4 for USPSA limited

guidedmiscle

Glock G20 Gen2,3,4 for USPSA limited which Gen is best to work with. Was going to start this project over 20 yrs ago. I have a Gen2 G20. My thought is to work with trigger, Springs, mag well, thinking G kit skateboard tape if Gen 2 or 3. Not sure of other mods. Prefer to do this with the best Gen for this project. I'm not familiar with Gen 4 other than holding in the hand, it was a G19

This is just my personal experience / opinion, but Ive had Glocks  from gen 3 to gen 5. From my experience looking for competition upgrades, it is easier to find stuff for gen 3 and 4 than it is gen 5. Both of my competition glocks are gen 4's and couldnt be happier. I have a G35 set up for limited and a full race open G34 built by Carver Custom. I dont think you can go wrong with a Gen 4 but that is just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Slow250 said:

Why the G20 over the G22, 35 or 24?  I've never shot a 10mm, so there may be something I'm totally missing.  Just curious.

This.

And I’d probably go gen 4 just for the factory beavertails. 

13 hours ago, Slow250 said:

Why the G20 over the G22, 35 or 24?  I've never shot a 10mm, so there may be something I'm totally missing.  Just curious.

Shooting 40 out of a G20 is softer shooting than a G35 in my experience. 

On 5/4/2020 at 10:16 PM, AZ1911 said:

I 100% agree with all of this. I find the circle distracting. 

4 hours ago, dgl503 said:

Shooting 40 out of a G20 is softer shooting than a G35 in my experience. 

Hmmm.  With 40 a conversion barrel in my G20 I've found shooting factory 40 is snappier than 10mm downloaded to around 40 power.

1 minute ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Hmmm.  With 40 a conversion barrel in my G20 I've found shooting factory 40 is snappier than 10mm downloaded to around 40 power.

I should rephrase 

Shooting 180 or 200 grain bullets at 170-175 power factor from a G20 is soft compared to most guns, more of a push than a snap and it is especially soft compared to small frame GLOCKs (22, 23, 35) Having shot both 40 and 10mm at the same bullets at the same PF I cant tell the difference

5 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I should rephrase 

Shooting 180 or 200 grain bullets at 170-175 power factor from a G20 is soft compared to most guns, more of a push than a snap and it is especially soft compared to small frame GLOCKs (22, 23, 35) Having shot both 40 and 10mm at the same bullets at the same PF I cant tell the difference

Ah.  I haven't seen any 180 gr. 40 rounds myself...

First thank you all for input, recommendations,considerations, I appreciate it very much.

20 or so yrs ago I loaded 10mm to 178 PF using 200 gr RN, USPSA major was 175 at that time. I was shooting 45 acp frequently out of a 1911, Para (200 gr SWC), G21 gen2 (225 TC) and a S&W 625 230RN all around 178 PF. The semi autos were using reduce power springs including the G20. When shooting the G20 I was thinking this doesn't seem right, The G20 shot softer. I've wanting to get back to that project for quite some time. Allot of new stuff has came out since. If is better, smarter to do this project on a Gen 3 or newer I'm not wanting to waste time and money my Gen 2. If Gen 2 is good or has some benifit,  I,m happy to go with that! I had heard of a SF frame but didn't think of it and never had my hands on one. I've held a G40, that is Gen4 it felt good, My Gen 2 doesn't feel bad. Seems like I had heard (several years ago) the Gen 4 doesn't modify well or something to that nature. Again thank you all for the input.

The first thing you need to decide is if you like the size of the gen2 grip. The gen4 grip is smaller and with the optional back straps it can be made to feel just like your gen2. Ive spent a fair amount of time shooting a g20 in limited shooting .40. The recoil really is light and easy to shoot. There is some consideration to the gen4 mag release which I think is a benefit. I still run grip tape in my gen4 

15 hours ago, guidedmiscle said:

I had heard of a SF frame but didn't think of it and never had my hands on one.

A Gen4 frame with no backstraps installed is the same dimension/reach of an SF (Short Frame) pistol.