Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Rifle Stock recommendations

Broncos79

On 5/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

Adjustable length is handy, but weight is an important consideration... the stock should balance your barrel weight and length to allow the rifle to track to your personal taste. If you aren't sure, buy a basic stock to start with and then play with adding weights until the balance is optimal for you. Once you understand what works best for you, it will narrow down your choices.

To add to @StealthyBlagga's comments we have 2 videos on the Rio Salado youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/RioSalado3Gun) that talk about stock weight. One video that has@Daniel Horner from the 2018 match answering a question from Thomas (who had recently started shooting 3gun) and he gave a lot of great info.  (I thought that video was uploaded 2 years ago but couldn't find it so I re-made it this morning.)

Also watch Jordan with the www.kearms.com team starting at 4:00

and, for the record, I highly recommend the vltor emod and imod stocks.

Quick story about the vltor stocks - a friend of mine carries a rifle for a living and recently used my rifle (with a weighted vltor imod stock) in some of his training. The battery compartments are filled with lead shot and the stock weighs north of 3.5 lbs.

A few weeks back he asked me if I had any extra lead shot he could put in his duty rifle. When he came by to pick up the shot he told me why he wanted it.  He had been training and his task in some of the exercises was to cover a door (at a low ready position) while the rest of the team finished clearing the building. My rifle with the heavy stock was so much more comfortable in the exercises that he wanted to add weight to his duty stock during building clearing. The balance was much more important than light weight and he felt like it improved how long he could cover the door and improved speed in confined spaces.

I'm a big fan of the ACE Skeleton stock, I've tried others and always go back to the Ace. It just fits me really well and the foam is comfortable. The weight of the stock also balances my rifle really well.

• 1 month later...