Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Rifle Stock recommendations

Broncos79

13 minutes ago, Broncos79 said:

How about the importance of cheek weld - is a wider stock advantageous or adds unneeded weight?

Getting a proper cheek weld is extremely important.  A wider stock is no good for me, but I must have a stock with a cheek riser.  Magpul makes snap on cheek risers for their CTR stock, which is a pretty decent and cheap.  Otherwise look at companies that make fully adjustable stocks like Smoke Composites, Tacmod, XLR, or even the magpul PRS.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a big adjustable stock guy, I like a plain old A2 or Magpul rifle stock. A lot is going to depend on your body structure and your personal preference. 

I did build a carbine for my wife and daughter, an adjustable stock was a necessity on it and weight was a factor. I put a Mission First Tactical stock on it and I like it (thankfully, the girls like it too). It locks up tight with no play at all.

Hurley

Just start with something basic ~ Magpul CTR or Moe stock if you can't decide ~ and shoot until you find a reason to change. Probably applies to all your questions, a mid-grade off the shelf Aero Precision is plenty of rifle for starting out with. Get a Vortex Viper or a Trijicon Accupower, a lot of ammo and go shoot for 10-20x and make friends. 

When you start with any new thing your inclination is to get the best one-time purchased camera, golf clubs, skis, bikes, house, even girlfriend. But it's the process that matters and will skew your future decision making. Get a good quality gun but think $1500 decent mainstream Joe Average, not a $5000 exotic. If you've got extra money just get a 16" JP CTR and take what they give you, it will not be bad. 

Was your first car a $500k Lambo or a $500 Chevy? 

Edited by Frankly

On 3/31/2020 at 7:46 PM, CharlieD said:

Getting a proper cheek weld is extremely important.  A wider stock is no good for me, but I must have a stock with a cheek riser.  Magpul makes snap on cheek risers for their CTR stock, which is a pretty decent and cheap.  Otherwise look at companies that make fully adjustable stocks like Smoke Composites, Tacmod, XLR, or even the magpul PRS.  

Magpul says the cheek risers aren't intended for AR's. Maybe the charging handle hits.

When I first started 3 Gun, I spent a bunch of money trying several of the newest, greatest, bestest adjustable stocks and found that after getting them adjusted just the way I liked and shot well, I should have just stuck with a plain ol' A2 stock, but that ain't sexy so I have an Ace Skeleton stock on most of my rifles now.  Plus it has a good sling QD.

1 hour ago, pig4bill said:

Magpul says the cheek risers aren't intended for AR's. Maybe the charging handle hits.

Yup depends on length you run the stock, you  just have to trim it to fit, not a big deal.  Hacksaw or dremel works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the ACE skeletonized stock and it fits me perfectly- good fit is the key. They are not expensive and are light in weight. You can change the foam rubber pad if it wears out. Has attachments for a sling stud (QD) or sling.

56 minutes ago, eric90503 said:

https://www.smokecomposites.com/stocks?lightbox=dataItem-k2nurn9g

Coming from a VLTOR EMOD A5, this looks like the opposite of the spectrum, light.  But haven't heard much about this one, at all. Looks promising.

I run a smoke composite on my rifle, along with a brigand arms handguard.  biggest advantage of the smoke stock is how much it kills the AR 'twang' compared to normal metal tubes.  coated springs or tubes help too.  

I will likely switch to their new stock soon, as I'd like a longer LOP.  

If you hear the AR twang, you aren't concentrating on your shooting enough😁!

Extruded buffer tubes are much quieter than bored buffer tubes, and flat wire springs help a bunch as well, but the real secret to reducing spring noise isn't found in over priced gadgety stocks it found in your garage right under the cap of the bottle that holds the spare oil for your car. Oil the hell out of them buffer springs!

Adjustable length is handy, but weight is an important consideration... the stock should balance your barrel weight and length to allow the rifle to track to your personal taste. If you aren't sure, buy a basic stock to start with and then play with adding weights until the balance is optimal for you. Once you understand what works best for you, it will narrow down your choices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the ACE skeleton stocks.  Moderately priced, light weight, comfortable, and fit me well.  Just make sure they have QD sling sockets.

additionally, I would recommend checking out as many stocks as you can before you buy one.