Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Syntech 130 vs 124, 147 for PCC

Anyone have any direct experience in comparing the 130 PCC and the standard 124? I’m curious about advantages, if any, to the 130 for PCC and also how it behaves with a typical handgun. Is this just a marketing thing or a way to have more skus on the shelf? Thanks for shedding any light you can. 

I've shot a bunch of the 130gr PCC-specific Syntech in my MPX and AR9, and a bunch of the 150gr stuff in my pistols... only just a little of the 124gr stuff because it seems it's harder to get a hold of. I've tried both the 150gr and 124gr in the PCC's, but not a lot, more just to see what they'd do.

FWIW, the PCC-specific 130gr is hotter than the 150/124 stuff for sure, though it's still noticeably softer IMO than budget-ish factory FMJ stuff like Magtech, S&B, etc.

Through my AR9 PCC the 124gr stuff is pretty soft and seems to be more accurate than the 150gr variety, the 150gr groups tend to open up at 20+yrds. The 130gr stuff in the AR9 is a wee bit softer/better than most factory FMJ, but the difference isn't huge. If I was running my AR9 most of the time, I'd probably hunt down the 124gr stuff for sure since I don't reload.

That said, my main PCC is an MPX, and the 130gr Syntech stuff is my go-to along with a "match" 135grHP load I buy, but honestly the longer I have the MPX the more I'm seeing that it doesn't really care what I feed it, it's super soft with whatever, but unlike many unfortunate MPXers mine runs 100% for me, and I believe a lot to do with that is that I don't chase the pf-floor with it and shoot loads 140+pf... actually in the MPX regular FMJ 124gr S&B is actually great, but the 130gr Syntech is a tad softer and is a little nicer so I use it.

Through my pistols it's a bit of a wash: with the 124 vs 150, my CZ S2 prefers the 125gr stuff accuracy-wise but recoil-impulse feels about the same between the 124/150, out of my Glock G17 the 150gr feels softer/better but accuracy is about the same (probably more to do with the Glock's glockish trigger and me than the ammo tho lol). In my case right now I use the 150gr stuff through my pistols because the other main "match" pistol ammo I use and can usually get a hold of is 147gr and shoots about equally as soft (and that way my guns print the same without me having to re-zero for elevation). The 130gr stuff works/shoots fine through the pistols and is a tad softer than most factory stuff out there, but IMO the 124/150 is far better for the pistols. YMMV...

3 hours ago, lfine said:

..... 130 for PCC and also how it behaves with a typical handgun.....

I chronoed the 130 & 150 stuff thru my Stock 2 just to have the data.  The 130 gr was only 127.5 PF.  That's too low for me, but, it is designed for a PCC, not a pistol.  Groups at 25 yds were not the best, around 5".  The 150 gr was around 138 PF.  Groups still weren't the best but were adequate, about 4" at 25 yds.  

I'll certainly stick with my reloads but simply wanted the Syntech data in case I ever have to use it.  It'll get the job done, but if someone is buying cases of factory ammo to compete with I'd just get cases of 124 gr FMJ as it's comparable in my opinion but it's cheaper.

My favorite for pistol is 124 but I was able to order some 130 to try in my new PCC. I noticed that 147 in my Shadow 2 opens up compared to the 124. When I get some, (5-10 days), I’ll give it a shot on the PCC and the CZs and see. Hoping it will be close to the 124 just in case I need to use it. (Can’t even order that right now, anyway.) BJB - what were you shooting that you saw bad groups with? Thanks  

58 minutes ago, lfine said:

BJB - what were you shooting that you saw bad groups with? Thanks  

Stock 2, 10-shot groups at 25 yards. I don't recognize flyers.  A 10-shot group gets all 10 shots counted in the measurement.

130 gr Syntech ~5" 

150 gr Syntech ~4" 

my 135 gr Ibejihead reloads ~2" 

most factory 124 gr FMJ ~4" to 5" 

If you like the Syntech then shoot way.  It'll get the job done for you.  It's just my opinion that 124 factory FMJ will get the job done as well & cheaper (if you don't reload). 

The Syntech is very clean though. The "action" loads (ie, 130gr & 150gr) use Sport Pistol powder and they have non-lead primers.  Very clean combo.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought some of the 150 Syntech to test. I chronoed  it last week out of my Scorpion and it averaged 1059 FPS. That’s nearly a 159 PF. I’m getting a new JP and will be testing it with it when it comes in. I did not check for groups. I suspect it was pretty decent as the SD was only 5.38 with a max difference of only 17 FPS. Remarkably consistent. I thought they felt hot and they were. 

I've shot a fair bit of it. They all run great in any of my guns. For the most part you're going to be splitting hairs but we all love to do it so here goes. This is going to be subjective to most people's taste but in general it follows what you would expect for the polymer vs steel comparison for the handgun side. 

10.5", 14.5", 16" and 5.5" shrouded barrel PCC's - Go to is the 130 PCC load, 115's / 124's are close 2nd in the 5.5"shrouded and 147's are close 2nd in the 14.5" and 16". Some days I might even prefer the 115's in the 5.5 " shrouded barrel. All shoot softer than standard 9 to me and there's not much difference. This will also depend on your bolt/buffer but I run JP bolts with JP 5 stainless weight short stroke silent captured springs. 

CZ Shadow 2 - 124's or 147's. If I had to pick I'd go with the 124's but that's my preference for a faster cycling handgun. I have big, but not yuuge hands. 

Glock 34/19 whatever 9mm glock - 150's for sure but I have always preferred 147-150 class bullets out of polymer guns. 

It's not so much increasing SKU's as really making what folks have been doing with reloads available in a factory option. Every week the bullet weight questions come up in the reloading section. It's a nice option and it's super cool that a major ammo maker is designing products specifically for USPSA. 

On 4/18/2020 at 1:21 AM, MLS2GO said:

I just bought some of the 150 Syntech to test. I chronoed  it last week out of my Scorpion and it averaged 1059 FPS. That’s nearly a 159 PF. I’m getting a new JP and will be testing it with it when it comes in. I did not check for groups. I suspect it was pretty decent as the SD was only 5.38 with a max difference of only 17 FPS. Remarkably consistent. I thought they felt hot and they were. 

The 150’s will feel really sluggish in the JP based on my humble personal experience. If all you’re doing is pulling the trigger slowly, it feels nice, but when you’re double tapping it just didn’t feel right. 

On 4/23/2020 at 8:39 PM, Halo09 said:

The 150’s will feel really sluggish in the JP based on my humble personal experience. If all you’re doing is pulling the trigger slowly, it feels nice, but when you’re double tapping it just didn’t feel right. 

For me they just felt like a much bigger push than my regular 147 Berrys load. The velocity of the 150s in the JP was lower than in the CZ, as was everything I tested. 150 Syntech chronoed 1012 Avg again with a very small SD of 6.78, for a Power Factor of 151,800 vs 158,850 in the CZ. I originally bought these to run in my Carry Optics gun, but thought I would try them in the rifles. That's a higher PF than I want.

18 hours ago, recoilchamp said:

How smokey is the syntech? I thought in general plated was preferred over coated for PCCs to keep from fouling up the comp.

I didn't think it was smokey, at least I didn't notice it all. I usually use Berrys 147 or Xtreme 147 over 2.8 of Titegroup. That produces a PF of around 135 in the JP, and 140 in the CZ. I am still new in PCC in USPSA, having shot it more in Steel Challenge, and learning a lot in this Forum. I use Titegroup right now because I have 12 lbs of it. When I get lower I may well experiment with others

21 hours ago, recoilchamp said:

How smokey is the syntech? I thought in general plated was preferred over coated for PCCs to keep from fouling up the comp.

Syntech is not smokey at all. Less smoke than Titegroup for reference.

Either coated or plated are preferred over bare lead for this reason. The coating does not come off at any reasonable pistol velocity. 

I’ve tried the Fed syntech 130 gr for PCC OUT OF MY JP 16” GMR15

it was very soft accurate and reliable. Shot 300 rds no malfunctions

brass ejected about 1 foot or less from the gun! It also crono at 140pf to 143pf

down side it’s a lot of money

my load is N320 4gr  124jhp RMR bullet =130+/-pf this load hits much harder than the syntech 

I would love to shoot it but it’s a lot of $ and the price just went up from $11.49 to $14.99 a box