Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case mouth expanding very stiff

Blackstone45

I'm finding "return stroke" of the case mouth expanding step requires a lot of force. So after the mouth has been expanded and I'm lowering the ram, the case seems to get stuck when the now-expanded neck is trying to exit the expanding die. It requires quite a bit of force get past this. Is this normal? I'm using a Lee single stage press, with Lee carbide dies, loading 9mm. I don't tumble my brass, just give them a good wash.

I’ve had the same problem with the die sticking.lay your brass on its side  in and old cooking pan and spray it with Hornady case lube, a little will get in the case mouth which will stop the case sticking issue. This worked for me good luck.

That’s normal especially when it’s wet tumbled or washed. This is what tumbling with corncob or walnut shells are good for since the “dust” from the media acts just like graphite lubricant for the brass.

I highly recommend lubing your brass. A couple of sprays of One Shot or Dillon brass lube into a ziplock bag, then placed your brass in it and shake it to lube the brass.

Edited by George16
Spelling

1 hour ago, Blackstone45 said:

I'm finding "return stroke" of the case mouth expanding step requires a lot of force. So after the mouth has been expanded and I'm lowering the ram, the case seems to get stuck when the now-expanded neck is trying to exit the expanding die. It requires quite a bit of force get past this. Is this normal? I'm using a Lee single stage press, with Lee carbide dies, loading 9mm. I don't tumble my brass, just give them a good wash.

I have the same issue with brand new brass, although I spray some Oneshot one them. As soon as I use a shot and dry tumbled case, there is much less force required - guess the fine dust inside helps with the sticking. I use the lube only on the outside, so the inside has no lube. Later with the shot cases, the residues inside help.