Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum Research .22 Switchbolt/Laminated Stock Initial Review

gerritm

Has the carbon fiber tensioned barrel with no threads. Laminated thumbhole stock. Weight about 4.6#. 

Just got it in and shot my first SC match with it. Did nothing to it to see how it would run out of the box other than making sure the barrel was clear and added a few drops of oil. I am left handed so switched the bolt handle to the right side.

Installed a C-More RTS2 and zeroed it at 15 yards. Ran  the whole match with CCI mini mags ammo with not a single problem using stock Ruger 10 round mags.

My 17 year old granddaughter shooting her Ruger Target lite won the match. So last stage (5 to go)  after match was done she tried the new rifle. Beat her time by well over a second total,  so pretty sure I will be losing it to her.

gerritm

Well, let her have it.  Then build yourself a better, lighter one.  I did just that after considering, then dropping the Magnum Research.

Tactical Innovations Left charging receiver with black nitrided match bolt  https://www.tacticalinc.com/catalog/product/id-6743

Wiland USA LLW 11 oz. barrel http://wilandusa.com/10-22-llw-barrel-22lr-sporter-chamber-6875-precision-slip-fit-tenon-diameter/

Kidd Single Stage trigger set at 2 lbs.  https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Single-Stage-Trigger-Unit-Drop-In_p_29.html

Axiom Blackhawk stock https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2157287396

Kidd bolt buffer and receiver pins.

Finished weigh is 3 lb. 5.5 oz.  It transitions like lightning and is super accurate.

Edited by zzt

She likes the little bit heavier rifle to match her PCC. Her PCC is right around 5.5 or 6#.  Same with me, we shoot a lot of PCC in USPSA & UML, so the transitions are the similar She just won a couple of our bigger local  USPSA matches shooting PCC so SC is both fun & good training. Plus I really like her Ruger. I have it running 99.5%. So pretty happy with it.

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up. She shot her first SC match with the new rifle and won the match. Knocked her time down for 5 stages by about  2 seconds. Rifle performed perfect not a single failure of any kind going on well over 500 rounds with me shooting it and testing, running CCI mini mags with stock Ruger 20 rounds mags. Tested the 15 rounders and worked good, also.

Interesting observation that the only .22's  being run, at least in our squad either pistols or rifles that didn't malfunction at one time or another were 2 Magnum Research Switchbolts and my tuned Ruger Target Lite. 

1 complaint about the rifle. It has a push button mag release that is very awkward. MR says they are working on a replacement extended type, but not available, yet. Anyone try an aftermarket one to see if it will work. Even with some mods due to the shape of the trigger guard? 

gerrim

2 hours ago, gerritm said:

To follow up. She shot her first SC match with the new rifle and won the match. Knocked her time down for 5 stages by about  2 seconds. Rifle performed perfect not a single failure of any kind going on well over 500 rounds with me shooting it and testing, running CCI mini mags with stock Ruger 20 rounds mags. Tested the 15 rounders and worked good, also.

Interesting observation that the only .22's  being run, at least in our squad either pistols or rifles that didn't malfunction at one time or another were 2 Magnum Research Switchbolts and my tuned Ruger Target Lite. 

1 complaint about the rifle. It has a push button mag release that is very awkward. MR says they are working on a replacement extended type, but not available, yet. Anyone try an aftermarket one to see if it will work. Even with some mods due to the shape of the trigger guard? 

gerrim

If you change the trigger out it will change the mag release. I know they have a Kidd trigger option on the builder page. Maybe you could swap a BX trigger into it if you want to keep the expense down. 

Trigger right now is really decent. Every bit as good or better than the BX I have in my Ruger. Will wait for them to develop the after market mag release. Not a critical flaw in SC for mag changes, just a pain.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

• 3 weeks later...

Gerritm - Thanks for responding to my message this past weekend....Well I was able to get into a NIB Switchbolt with the thumbhole stock yesterday for under $500 so I decided to give this rifle a try since I currently shoot the Ruger Target-Lite and have the occasional FTF or FTE issue (usually once or twice in each match)....

I spoke to Jason at MR yesterday by phone and after five minutes on the phone with him I am glad I bought this rifle...He told me that if I have any issues or problems with my rifle to contact him direct at MR and he will make it right....That is customer service that can not be beat - IMO....Time will tell...Should have the rifle in my hands next week....

Thanks for starting this thread...Mark

• 8 months later...

New member here, came across this forum and post while researching for a rifle for my son. Are y’all still liking the Switchbolt?

I’m interested in building one as suggested by zzt, but seems like it would be quite a bit more money and we aren’t looking to spend that much at the moment.  Doesn’t seem like I’d be holding him back too much by trying to find a good price on a Switchbolt instead.

I don't think that you could go wrong with a switchbolt, if given a choice in chamber style/size, go with the sport chamber and not the "benz" chamber. The rifle is still accurate and it will not be as picky on which ammo that will work in it. Mine with the axium stock and a cmore railway comes in at 3.12 pounds and runs quite well.

Edited by mchapman

I think that’s the route we will go, was trying to find specs on the switchbolt stock to see how much weight would be saved by adding the axiom, it’s only 70 bucks right now at midway, so not a real expensive upgrade.  

Looks like I can snag a switchbolt for around 600 or more.  I’ll just add a red dot and the axiom and he will be set.  He’s been shooting a borrowed Winchester wildcat so he is anxious to have his own to practice more. 

1 hour ago, Bigharge said:

I think that’s the route we will go, was trying to find specs on the switchbolt stock to see how much weight would be saved by adding the axiom, it’s only 70 bucks right now at midway, so not a real expensive upgrade.  

Looks like I can snag a switchbolt for around 600 or more.  I’ll just add a red dot and the axiom and he will be set.  He’s been shooting a borrowed Winchester wildcat so he is anxious to have his own to practice more. 

Magnum Research will supply the gun with an Axiom stock if you call and request it.  I don't know why they are not on the web site, but they supply them for their team shooters.  When I was considering the MR, I called to talk about it with them and asked about the Axiom.  They said no problem.

Well I waited over the weekend to see if anything cheaper would pop up but nothing I could find.  Looks like gunzonedeals will be the best buy right now so thanks for that link.

Was also able to snag a cmore railway on their cyber sale so we should be set to shoot here in a week or so when it gets in.

Well looks like I waited too long, everyone seems to be out of stock now for that option.  Going to try and call magnum research direct and see about a custom order and time frame.  Should have just bought the one at gunzonedeals the other day.

oh well, if anyone has an inside tract on one for sale somewhere I’d appreciate the info.  The couple I’ve found are quite a bit higher and would rather go the custom route if I spend much more 

Back when I was looking for one I had 23 possible sources and the next day there were zero. You can't wait these days on anything.

A lot of these places all source from the same big warehouses so what may look like a large number available can really just be a few.

Edited by Gregg K

1 hour ago, Bigharge said:

Yeah, lesson learned on that one.  Looks like I’m either going to go the custom route or try to snag a different model and throw the axiom stock on afterwards.  

This one still shows available and not that much more than the other places.   https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885418179 OOPS sorry it ended.

Edited by mchapman

Appreciate all the replies so far, just caved and placed the order for all the Kidd parts, LLW barrel, and the axiom stock.  Will be a few weeks but I will check back and show some progress when it all shows up.  I can sell a few items to make up for the cost difference, but we are excited to see the finished product.

Now it’s time to start researching a new pistol...