Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

External finished rounds bins

I decided I wanted a less cluttered bench and did away with the finished round bin on my super 1050. 

Replaced it with a funnel/tube gizmo that routes finished rounds onto a bucket on the floor. 

Today I was somewhat startled (to put it bloody mildly) when a round went BANG in the bucket near my feet. It appears that a round slide down the tube and hit a primer on the sweet spot, cooking off a round. 

All I found was a couple of fragments of 40S&W brass a few feet away. 

I think I'll stick with a cluttered bench, or figure out how to slow down the speed of arrival of the rounds in the tub. 

Helluva load pop in a confined space! 

Off to change me shorts 😅😅🤣

IMG_20200126_181303.jpg

IMG_20200126_181303.thumb.jpg.c51ad563927cefb8b207d9ca14708525.jpgI decided I wanted a less cluttered bench and did away with the finished round bin on my super 1050. 

Replaced it with a funnel/tube gizmo that routes finished rounds onto a bucket on the floor. 

Today I was somewhat startled (to put it bloody mildly) when a round went BANG in the bucket near my feet. It appears that a round slide down the tube and hit a primer on the sweet spot, cooking off a round. 

All I found was a couple of fragments of 40S&W brass a few feet away. 

I think I'll stick with a cluttered bench, or figure out how to slow down the speed of arrival of the rounds in the tub. 

Helluva load pop in a confined space! 

Off to change me shorts 😅😅🤣

Edited by Cliveb

51 minutes ago, milanuk said:

I'd be curious to see what the actual arrangement looked like...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pretty straightforward (which in hindsight was probably the problem). 

A funnel and spring hose leading down at a rather steep angle from the bench to a bucket. Probably a height of about 43 inches. Apparently more than enough to pick up sufficient speed/energy to ignite a primer when struck at the right angle. 

Pretty straightforward (which in hindsight was probably the problem). 
A funnel and spring hose leading down at a rather steep angle from the bench to a bucket. Probably a height of about 43 inches. Apparently more than enough to pick up sufficient speed/energy to ignite a primer when struck at the right angle. 

I would think putting a sloping bend in the tube towards the bottom should reduce velocity of the “dropped” round...think of a street elbow like used in electrical conduit where it is curved 90 degrees instead of a sharp 90 used for water or gasses.

I drilled and put 2 hose clamps holding the tube to the side of bucket with about a 90 degree bend at the bottom. Have 2 mounting points in bucket about halfway down and a little further up when the bucket starts filling up. Works great. Feeds into the bucket softly. 

Hatchers Notebook says back in the day, the rifle primer test was a 4 oz ball dropped onto a firing pin sitting on the primer (whole thing vertical of course).  None out of 300 were allowed to fire with a 3" drop, all had to fire with a 15" drop.

Probably there's more scientific specs now, but that's pretty easy to relate to.