Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm case with titegroup

TimHawkins

21 minutes ago, valerko said:

so double charge , compressed is not dangerous ?  Because that's what I'm talking about . You double charge 9mm , with 7-8 g of TG , then it's gonna be compressed load as well 

https://www.dictionary.com/e/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/280.jpg

Edited by 4n2t0

The bottom line is that people new to reloading should consider a low density powder that fills the case up enough to easily recognize a double charge. Tite Group doesn't fit that criteria. If cost and availability is your priority the Tite Group is the ticket.

2 hours ago, Red Ryder said:

The bottom line is that people new to reloading should consider a low density powder that fills the case up enough to easily recognize a double charge. Tite Group doesn't fit that criteria. If performance, cost and availability is your priority the Tite Group is the ticket.

Fixed it for you.

Titegroup isn't perfect but it performs very well in 9mm (and other calibres).

Edited by 4n2t0

Fixed it for you.

Titegroup isn't perfect but it performs very well in 9mm (and other calibres).

Thank you. That is truthful. In my experience though, tite poop wasn't accurate unless I loaded it closer to 140pf. Kind of defeats the purpose of low recoil 9mm.

12 hours ago, valerko said:

you one of those , I get it 

Guilty as charged!

I'm one of those who uses terms correctly so as to avoid confusion. I don't know what to tell you, calling it a compression issue couldn't be more wrong/misleading.

Edited by 4n2t0

TiteGroup burns so hot at high pressure that it can melt the coating from poly-coated bullets. There are some cast lead/poly-coated makers that will tell you to avoid it for that reason.

It does better in lower pressure rounds like the .38 Special and .45 ACP and others. If I needed to use some up, that's how I'd do it, and use something else that doesn't burn so hot in 9mm.😉

I accidentally loaded 9.3 grains of Titegroup last month and had a major failure! I was going back and forth between minor and major loads and didnt realize I had titegroup in the hopper instead of HS6. The PT Honcho ate that s#!t like a BOSS. The case exploded and destroyed the round behind it in the magazine but the gun works as if nothing happened. 

If TiteGroup is the only powder you have, or have ever used, you might want to do a search on this forum. You really should use a jacketed bullet for 9 x 19mm loads, maybe plated. But in a search you'll find that even then, firing sustained loads has melted fiber optic front sights.

Combined with the fact that it can be easily multi-charged . . . there are just too many other good powders available. Particularly in the past few years with powders being formulated to work well with poly-coated bullets.😉

On 2/22/2020 at 6:39 AM, 4n2t0 said:

Guilty as charged!

I'm one of those who uses terms correctly so as to avoid confusion. I don't know what to tell you, calling it a compression issue couldn't be more wrong/misleading.

yup, one of those . Keep telling that to yourself :):):)

13 hours ago, valerko said:

yup, one of those . Keep telling that to yourself :):):)

Sure, whatever floats your boat big guy :):):).

In future try to be more, well, right. Maybe that way you won't feel so emasculated.

Cheers!

Edited by 4n2t0

1 hour ago, SnipTheDog said:

SNS Casting refers to this chart (Linky) as a reference to not use the top 15 or so hot burning powders with the coated bullets.  Titegroup is #15, so it's on the border of being too hot, but not specifically forbidden.

Of the fastest 15 powders from that burn rate chart, they also list 3 exceptions on their home page https://www.snscasting.com/ and TiteGroup is certainly one of those remaining 12. If there was some "gray" area, they would have listed TiteGroup as an exception also.😉

On 2/23/2020 at 6:45 PM, K-Texas said:

If TiteGroup is the only powder you have, or have ever used, you might want to do a search on this forum. You really should use a jacketed bullet for 9 x 19mm loads, maybe plated. But in a search you'll find that even then, firing sustained loads has melted fiber optic front sights.

If you do a search, you will find a lot of people report  9mm loads with TG, coated bullets, and without any reported issues. It is a very popular powder that has been around for years.

46 minutes ago, lgh said:

If you do a search, you will find a lot of people report  9mm loads with TG, coated bullets, and without any reported issues. It is a very popular powder that has been around for years.

9mm SNS + titegroup here. Have recently switched to sport pistol but never noted an issue with tg and have likely shot a bit past 15,000 rounds. 

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

9mm SNS + titegroup here. Have recently switched to sport pistol but never noted an issue with tg and have likely shot a bit past 15,000 rounds. 

So why the change after 15,000 trouble free rounds? Did you try any other powders during that time?

As far as doing a search, I recommended that 2 posts back, and it might be best to start with the first page of this thread. I think it's important that we remember how many new handloaders come here for advice because they're just getting into competitive shooting and want to get into handloading. One thing I always stress to new handloaders is whenever possible, use a powder that can't be double-charged without over-flowing the case, or high enough that it is unmistakable, and/or will prevent the bullet from being seated. And ALWAYS view the powder charge after it's been dropped.

I was handloading a good many years before TiteGroup came out. It's initial selling points were insensitivity to powder positioning with low charge-weights making it economical. With 7000 grs. in a # of powder, I don't give a lot of thought to saving a few pennies on powder.😉

Edited by K-Texas

46 minutes ago, K-Texas said:

So why the change after 15,000 trouble free rounds?

Sport Pistol was recommended for cleaner burning & being better for coated.

I think I prefer SP but go back and forth a bit on that thought. TG has more of a snap on 130 pf loads & I kind of prefer that. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Sport Pistol was recommended for cleaner burning & being better for coated.

I think I prefer SP but go back and forth a bit on that thought. TG has more of a snap on 130 pf loads & I kind of prefer that. 

I heard about Sport Pistol early on from a buddy I correspond with who also sent me preliminary data. Everything I've heard about it since has been all positive. And if it gives 50%+ case-fill in the empty case: even better!😉