Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Evo & Outlaw grips- initial thoughts

muncie21

Sharing initial thoughts on both of these fine grips.

The Evo (left pic) is aluminum with grippy texture.  The provided grip safety dropped right onto my frame with no fitting/filing involved.  The mainspring housing was slightly  different in dimension from the factory plastic one, as the sear spring required a little bit of adjustment for the hammer to function properly.

The Outlaw (right pic) is SS, and slightly more grippier than the Evo.  There is a contour below the mag release that the EVo doesn't have, which I expect is there to allow for slightly higher grip.  This is similar to the factory plastic DVC grip, but more exaggerated.  The grip safety required a few strokes of the file in order to move freely inside the grip.  Also, for the particular frame I have it on, it will require some blending in order to match the frame.  The grip can be ordered with custom internal dimensions, which I did because this STI frame is slightly wider than the stock specs.  I did have to file a bit on the top of the grip to get it to seat fully. 

Overall very satisfied with both grips.  Now the decision is to get them anodized to increase surface hardness, have them coated, or leave them in the white.

EVO_1.thumb.JPG.c40251cbadcec66a36d008a591ab96ee.JPGLSI_1.thumb.JPG.e05543ac1980ceac0badcbad65c2589a.JPG

Edited by muncie21

23 hours ago, 36873687 said:

U think outlaw is more aggressive? I’m having lsi grip on my new build

I feel that the LSI is a bit more aggressive than the PT ‘standard aggressive’.  Haven’t shot the LSI enough to determine if it’s too much of a skin grater.

BTW, I noticed that PT offers an ‘extra aggressive’ grip texture when you configure a Honcho in the Race Shop. Didn’t  notice this option when looking to buy just the grip by itself 

Edited by muncie21

The LSI grip is a legit gamechanger of a grip.  Very grippy and contoured perfectly for my hand.  Felt like gripping a cheese grater the first time i grabbed it, but i have since come to love it.  Just need to get it coated and it's perfect.  

I have the Outlaw on a limited gun built me about 8 years ago, before he started building full time. I have had an aluminum grips on it for last few years. I like the aggressive on it better thant the pt. The double under cut is something I have had done on my guns for many years. I like that I can get a really high grip on the gun. I do plan to have it anodized or coated soon.

16 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Looks like I misspoke. Infinity only makes a steel grip. I guess if it gets a finish on it it would be good to go.

How would anodizing the stainless steel grip hold up over time? Maybe DLC would be way to go?

You aren't going to be wrong with the LSI.  If you measure your frame, he will machine the grip to be almost a perfect fit without additional fitting.  I use Black Nitride.  I think you'll find that to be your best bet for durability and economically.