Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3G rifle load?

nikdanja

Do you guys use different bullets for different stages?

what I mean is when you have to range out 300-500 yards, do you use “good bullets?”

then the close 200 and in targets do you use basic “plinking” loads?

I load up 55gr "plinkers" for everything out to 200y and 69gr SMK's for anything beyond that.  No need to be using more expensive projectiles, powder, and spending time sorting brass etc. for up close work.  I zero at 200y with the 69gr load and it's close enough for the up close 55gr shooting.

Edited by fbzero

Do you guys see accuracy drop off when switching to your “match loads?”

I watched a guy who shot “cheap bullets” thru his 308 and he had major accuracy drop offs when he switched back to his “match loads”. 

he had to shoot 20-30 rounds to almost clean out the cheap copper jacket particles left behind by cheap bullets. 

I also use 55 grain bulk (fiocchi .223a since my rifle likes it and the primers aren't crimped) inside of 300 and a hand loaded 77 smk for 300+. I Zero the 55 grain for 100 yards and the 77 grain at 200, which let's the JM-1 reticle BDC marks line up for both rounds at 300, 400, 500. 

8 hours ago, Blockader said:

I also use 55 grain bulk (fiocchi .223a since my rifle likes it and the primers aren't crimped) inside of 300 and a hand loaded 77 smk for 300+. I Zero the 55 grain for 100 yards and the 77 grain at 200, which let's the JM-1 reticle BDC marks line up for both rounds at 300, 400, 500. 

Do you not reload for 3G?

22 minutes ago, nikdanja said:

Do you not reload for 3G?

I reload the 77 grain smk over 24.8 grains TAC for long range 3 gun use, though that's not much here in Georgia. I do not bother reloading for inside of 300 yards as I don't have a progressive press for rifle and I'm already hard pressed to load enough 9mm for the whole family. 

19 minutes ago, Blockader said:

I reload the 77 grain smk over 24.8 grains TAC for long range 3 gun use, though that's not much here in Georgia. I do not bother reloading for inside of 300 yards as I don't have a progressive press for rifle and I'm already hard pressed to load enough 9mm for the whole family. 

I guess 223 is so cheap now that it isn’t worth loading snymore except for precision. 

1 hour ago, nikdanja said:

Wait till we get a liberal in office wanting to start banning everything. Lol

Restricted Content
Politics
Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.
Specifically including (but not limited to):
• USPSA vs IPSC
• IPSC vs IDPA
• STI vs SVI
 Limited 10 vs Limited Division
• This Division vs That Division
• This Government vs That Government
• Gun Control Issues

• 2 weeks later...