Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel vs aluminum grip

jpease

I’ve always been afraid to go aluminum for several reasons 

I think it will ware with all the reloads 

I hear about cracking all the time with a cpl different brand grips 

at that point why even switch from plastic if your not going to take advantage of the recoil swallowing steel grip  

I've yet to try aluminum, but I think it's interesting that Atlas is using all aluminum grips on their 9mm minor guns now. You might feel the recoil more, but the videos seem to show the Erebus/Athena/Hyperion shooting very well. It almost seems like getting the the balance right with the shorter slide/comp/etc. is more important than the overall weight.

Then again, people are using the CZ Shadow 2 and the Sig P320 X5 Legion in Production/Carry Optics, and those are both pretty heavy guns (not 2011 heavy though... so, maybe these are close to 2011s with aluminum grips?)

I asked a grip manufacturer that makes griosmin both materials for their opinion on pros and cons. Aluminium is cheaper to produce and buy. Steel is heavier for better balance and recoil reduction. About 99% of what they sell is steel.

Shoot both quite a bit. I think the steel grip tames the gun a lot all the way around. For me it not only adds weight, but its seems to absorb recoil/shock going into the hand on my open pistols. Alumi has also been know to crack, were I have not heard of a steel one cracking.

1 minute ago, falconpilot said:

Shoot both quite a bit. I think the steel grip tames the gun a lot all the way around. For me it not only adds weight, but its seems to absorb recoil/shock going into the hand on my open pistols. Alumi has also been know to crack, were I have not heard of a steel one cracking.

I cracked one

I have an SVI still grip on my primary limited gun and it's phenomenal. I had an STI aluminum grip on my backup but recently found an SVI steel grip for it on here. Definitely reduces the amount of vertical lift on the gun allowing fast sight tracking.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...