Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel vs aluminum grip

jpease

I'm thinking of upgrading my grip from the polymer STI to a metal grip. What are some reviews on aluminum vs steel? I'm thinking steel for the weight.
I have an STI aluminum grip with limcat magwell for sale if you're interested

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have had the opportunity to shoot a Limcat with a plastic handle and another with a steel handle. It was a BIG difference. The gun was a hell of a lot flatter and I did not notice that much difference in target transitions. I could not get a full feel since my wife's Limcat had a different trigger setup. But I am upgrading after just that one match performance. 

12 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

I have an STI aluminum grip with limcat magwell for sale if you're interested

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I haven't decided which way I am going but if I go aluminum I'll  message you. Thanks

I haven't decided which way I am going but if I go aluminum I'll  message you. Thanks

You can also always go aluminum and if it’s not heavy enough add the steel limcat or even brass Limcat magwell to add weight to desired level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, RGC said:

Prefer AL on open ported guns....do not want the grip to add that lower back weight that will enhance frame torque.

Could you expand on that thought a bit ?

Not sure what frame torque is, or why it would be detrimental .

Thanks.

Don’t like the extra weight below the energy absorbing vertical plane.  I find more weight below enhancing the pivot motion of the wrist.  I like all weight up on the axis where the recoil energy is dispersing.

Steel. Get steel because of the weight. The aluminum ones are a waste of money IMO because it’s just a tad bit heavier than the plastic grips. 

I have a metal grilled limited gun and coming from shooting plastic to metal, whoa. Metal makes such a big recoil difference. It sounds stupid, because I didn’t understand at one time, but it makes a big difference. 

Are aluminum grips holding up to major PF? Seems like last I heard they weren't "rated" for major...

Cheely E2 aluminum grips are made of tougher 7 series aluminum. Matt’s warranty is for major as well. Have about 2000 rounds of major so far. No issues.

3 hours ago, nikdanja said:

Steel. Get steel because of the weight. The aluminum ones are a waste of money IMO because it’s just a tad bit heavier than the plastic grips. 

I have a metal grilled limited gun and coming from shooting plastic to metal, whoa. Metal makes such a big recoil difference. It sounds stupid, because I didn’t understand at one time, but it makes a big difference. 

Steel grips tame limited guns recoil. But on Open guns they simply add/redistribute weight.

• 3 weeks later...

Biggest difference is hit on the hand. Steel/ SS is the softest. There is also a difference in aluminums too. Most previous aluminum grip was 6000 series, harder hit then 7000 and was susceptible to cracking. With 7000 series, it’s softer and much stronger. Thanks.

37 minutes ago, QUATTROISKING said:

I love when people say or make comments about open gun having no kick lol just goes to show how many people have actually shot an open major gun. 

My Open MAJOR gun recoils considerably less than my other guns.