Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 9mm Revolvers are Allowed for BUG-R?

Smitty79

I've been thinking about getting a snubbie for New York reloads.   I regularly shoot IDPA with carry gear.   So I'd like a revolver that works there too.   9mm as I reload 9mm.   I'm not going to shoot 357 mag from a snubbie.   I see no good reason to add a caliber for no increase in effectiveness of 38 Special over 9mm.

None.

8.2.9 Revolver BUG (BUG-R)

Handguns permitted for use in BUG-R must be:

A. Any revolver that uses .38 or larger cartridges with a rimmed case and is not loaded with moon clips.

B. The use of trimmed (shortened) ammunition is not allowed.

C. Barrel length of 2 1/2" or less.

D. The unloaded firearm must weigh 26 oz. or less.

E. Be loaded to the division capacity of no more than 5 rounds in the cylinder.

F. The firearm must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 6 1/2" x 4 5/8" x 1 3/8".

G. Revolver BUG Modifications: Revolver BUG must comply with all Stock Revolver features and modifications, and

equipment restrictions.

I have read of people buying an extra cylinder.  The .002" difference in nominal groove diameter does not make much difference.

8 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Would running 9mm be staying with the spirit of the rule?

Seems projectile diameter would allow it.

9mm "technically" has a rim...

Impossible to run without a moonclip, though. Brass wouldn't eject without the clip, and you'd have to reload individual rounds as there's no such thing as a 9mm revolver speedloader (as far as I know).

I think the real question is - could you run .38 Short Colt?

• It IS a .38 or larger case
  • It's NOT (technically) trimmed as it's a production cartridge (currently made by Fiocchi and Remington, historically made by others)  

3 hours ago, matteekay said:

I think the real question is - could you run .38 Short Colt?

• It IS a .38 or larger case
  • It's NOT (technically) trimmed as it's a production cartridge (currently made by Fiocchi and Remington, historically made by others)  

No see rule 8.2.6.2.

8.2.6.2 Ammunition used must match the cartridge listed on the firearm with the following exceptions:
A. .38 special in .357 magnum
B. .44 special in .44 magnum
C. .45 Auto Rim or .45 GAP in .45 ACP
D. .45 ACP or .45 GAP in .45 Colt
E. .40 S&W in 10mm

11 hours ago, matteekay said:

Exactly. I run Rhino's in ESR and ICORE - I'd absolutely get a snubnose version for BUG-R, but I'm not messing with downloading to 5 rounds.

Matt, I have and carry sp101 2 1/2  357, and a s&w 649 357 both are 5 shot guns. With the exception of the 9mm apparently isn't legal I do have a smith 547, with a 3 in barrel that does not use moonclips and the shells eject with the ejector rod. They only made it in 1985 in 3 in and 4 in only 10,000 made.

I have wondered about .38 S&W.  A Terrier or Regulation Police is marked for it and it is actually a bit larger diameter bullet than .38 Special. 

But with BUG as a main match Division, I don't really want to shoot a hundred rounds from a one pound gun.

Theoretically, you could enter a BSR or Model 11 in SSR and gain a whopping 4/10" on the ejection stroke. 

Edited by Jim Watson