Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match performance in indoor ranges

Tango

Agreed. Running on concrete is very different. Having most targets directly in front of you is different. But mostly (a 48yo with crap eyes that I am) the lighting indoors is atrocious. Indoor lighting is something that keeps me from really feeling I can do my best compared to nice outdoor light.

I shot about 8 matches at an indoor range over the winter (and during Covid). We shot our first outdoor match a couple of weeks ago. The indoor range is darker (walls are dark).

Lighting is a factor as noted and I noticed, as Rowdy pointed out, that I was not running as fast on the slippery cement floor. It wasn't until the third stage at the outdoor range match that it dawned on me that I was moving at the indoor range pace (habit). When targets are toward the back of the indoor range and especially along the walls or if there are partials, I have to take a bit more time on sight picture. Noise is increased as well.

I don't like the "compressed" stages with narrower walled corridors in indoor matches because there is more tendency to bump them moving around them. I'm not sure any more if I'm actually getting any real benefit over dry firing by attending indoor matches (other than the social aspect).

I have seen several shooters go down on the indoor USPSA here.  Scary.

I don't understand why the lights are so dim over the stalls of indoor ranges.  The targets are better lit, and I don't have any trouble with sights and targets out on the floor for USPSA.

I had a new fibre optic that I needed to zero yesterday so I sweated outside to get some daylight on it rather than squint in air conditioned comfort indoors. 

Edited by Jim Watson

On 10/29/2019 at 8:28 AM, Zincwarrior said:

Its an excellent venue to practice low light stages, darkness stages, and stages where the lights are switched on only in certain areas.

You have to watch because many floors are more slippery, substantially slowing down movement.

Could some tacky vibram soles take care of this? I think the shoes I owned with the most grip were some La Sportiva trail runners. 

On 11/8/2019 at 3:54 PM, nikdanja said:

I practice indoors and it’s tough. First and foremost is the noise. Getting fimilaoar right the noise and concussion I’d hard to get comfortable with. Another is footing. I’m worried about slipping on a brass!  I’m not a fan of shooting indoors but if it’s cold, you gotta go what you gotta do 

I shot a few indoor matches near Houston and people were super vigilant about sweeping the brass off to the sides (where it would sit next to the wall). While some people pasted targets a couple people swept.. Seemed like a good system.

7 hours ago, rsn_tx said:

Seemed like a good system.

Except that sweeping puts all the stuff you don't want to breath up into the air.

Sounds odd but the best thing I ever did for indoor matches was spray hairspray on the bottom of my shoes right before every stage.

Since I started this topic, I switched to Carry Optics. Since then, the best matches I shot have always been indoors! To me, this shows that it was my inability to see the front sight clearly indoors that made my performance suffer. Now I like indoors matches!

• 11 months later...

To add to all the things previously stated, indoor matches are a good way to get some trigger time under the pressure of a timer and people watching, but are not great predictors of performance in 'real' matches.  As people have said, lighting, noise, percieved recoil due to gas, smoke, muzzle flash, all play a factor.  Also, indoor matches are always low round count and generally have wacky stages designed to keep bullets off the side walls.