Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maybe competition again?

chemnut842

Background: I played USPSA for 2 seasons (5 years ago) and never advanced beyond C class. My gripes were too much waiting around and not much shooting (matches fill up really fast in my region, and as a result - full squads), but my biggest gripe was lack of practice opportunity within reasonable driving distance. All local ranges forbid any sort of rapid fire or drawing from holster. I practiced anyways, following the rules and focusing on grip technique. I would occasionally (half heartedly) dry fire practice at home and practice mag changes. 

now I have access to a small 40- yard private range. I almost always have the range to myself and common sense and courtesy are the rules. I don’t want to blow it by annoying others in the area, so I bought a suppressor (2 actually) and started practicing. After a lot of work and frustration that I won’t go into now, I finally worked up loads that are reliable(ish) and sufficiently quiet. This allows me to practice rapid fire, target transitions, etc.. in ways that I never could at other ranges and I am enjoying myself. I can’t really draw from a holster with the can attached... but life is all about compromise... 

Today’s intention: fire 20 round strings at a single target, ~ 12 yards away at a pace that allows me to shoot inside of A zone while focusing on trigger control and grip technique. 

Observations: a lot of bouncing around after each shot (mostly vertical and about 1/2 as much horizontal). I was not using a shot timer and I am shooting with a red dot, so it is painfully obvious how much the gun is bouncing around. Locking my elbows seems to exacerbate the oscillations compared to not locking my elbows.

Most surprising however (and it probably should not be that surprising), is that I think the can is making the recovery time between shots take longer! After thinking about it - this makes some sense as the can equates to more mass, which is hanging off the end of the barrel, that I have to counteract through grip strength. Any slop in my grip technique is only going to be amplified by that swinging mass. On the other hand, I thought the extra mass would act as an inertial dampener to the recoil - and perhaps it is to some extent. Next range session I will fire a few shots with and without the can. I suspect that without the can, the dot will move more but recover faster. If this is the case, the can could turn out to be a great training aid - similar to running with weights on ones ankles, but perhaps that forecast is a tad optimistic...

I just signed up for a match on Saturday. Southern Chester county, 6 stages. I signed up for carry optics, unclassified. Problem: my 509t came with 3 mags and after reviewing the rules for CO -  the 2 factory 24 round mags are over legal length by a lot. Decisions: go shoot, load my mags to 21 rounds only (achievable with legal length base plates that I will never receive in time) and hope nobody says anything (isn’t this cheating? I don’t like cheaters, I don’t like dishonest ppl)... option 2: go buy some standard 17 round mags and stay honest(I will need them anyways for the extended basepads). Option 3: change division to open. I will likely do 2 or 3. 

I ordered Brian Enos’s Book and plan to get serious about making B class. I will digest the information in this book and work out a dry fire routine. After some reading I realize that people consider B class to be the “black belt” of pistol shooting - I want that, and I intend to earn that. 

I haven't done it yet, either, but dry firing is The Way to Go, here.  

And, a book by one of the gurus on dry firing is a necessity (I just

bought one).  :) 

If the range's owners don't mind, I'd ditch the can - not going to help you in any way -

practice with what you'll be using.

If you're going to be firing 20-round strings, you NEED a timer (I just bought one)   :)

If you are a "new" shooter, at a local match, you might contact the match director and ask what to do about your magazines. I suspect if you load them to 21 only, he would give you a pass on them for your very first match while you are waiting on proper mags to arrive.  Does it conform to USPSA rules? No. Do you gain any competitive advantage from it whatsoever? Also no. Or just switch to Open. No big deal.

Ditch the suppressors for USPSA practice. That was considerate, but ultimately unhelpful to achieve your desired goals.

Get a timer. (Note: I happen to have one for sale in the Classifieds.)

Take a class from your friendly local GM @waktasz - see dates at super-tactical.com

Taking a class will correct your bad habits before you ingrain them through additional practice and teach you how to improve on your own. You are a perfect candidate for their classes.

Edited by ClangClang

I'm usually at that match but won't be there this weekend. 

My guess is you would get away with running the big mags at that club. Not that I advocate cheating, but most 9mm Carry Optics mags hold 23, so just download them by one until you get proper base pads. 

7 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I'm usually at that match but won't be there this weekend. 

My guess is you would get away with running the big mags at that club. Not that I advocate cheating, but most 9mm Carry Optics mags hold 23, so just download them by one until you get proper base pads. 

Like he said. I highly doubt any match director is going to tell you that you can’t if its your first match and you’re doing your best to color within the lines.  Just contact them first and make sure. If not you should have more than enough time to get mags to work as well

For your first few matches, while waiting for correct base plates to come in, we'd let you run CO...if you'd mentioned that they were over length by a hair. We do not verify competitors mag lengths unless it's grossly obvious. Myself and one other person in our club have the EGW gauge and mostly just make it available to members that are going to majors, so they may check their equipment and not get unpleasant surprise bumps to Open when on the road.

I, myself, have shot two level 2 matches where my mags weren't checked, and I'm thankful because they were just a hair over 141.25mm (that's why I got the gauge after someone else checked them for me at another local match). Surprisingly, the ones that are gross violators are the Sig P320s with their factory extended mags (lots of them in our club) and everyone has started shaving them down on the back edge to be legal.

I think my baseplates MAY get here on time, otherwise I will just play it by ear. At this stage, I’m not concerned of the prospect of shooting open - it is the same trigger time either way.

I do have a shot timer, I just wasn’t using it this weekend.

i would very much like to take a class as suggested, I have seen this suggested in a lot of threads and can see how it would be of great benefit. 

as to the suppressor - I either have to use it or I will need to look for another place to practice. There are just too many non-shooters and houses within earshot, and if I start causing people to complain - it may screw it up for others who like using the range on occasion. I can certainly do SOME things without the can, like drawing and shooting a shot or 2 on the timer. But anything more than slow fire or short strings - I would hesitate to push my luck.

thank you for all the good feedback, and maybe I will see one or 2 of you on Saturday. I will be in squad 4, my name is Joe.

Also, if you didn't already know, there are tons of clubs in the area. Lower Providence, New Holland, Ontelaunee(biggest and best match on the east coast, every month), West Shore, York, Eastern Shore (MD), Quinton(NJ), Central Jersey (NJ). I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting.

Edited by waktasz

Well this sucks... I have been sick with a nasty cold since Wednesday and today isn’t looking much better. I was hoping I could make a “go” decision this morning but it just isn’t happening. I will try to call the MD this AM, if I can find a contact, and tell him to give my spot to a walk-in. Hope to find another match for next weekend,