Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Info

gr7070

I picked up a new to me 929 and have a few questions. 

Is the compensator effective? Has anyone done any timed comparisons, at a reasonable volume?

Any negatives just leaving it off completely? The non-compensator looks like it gets plenty dirty. 

How low a trigger pull can I get away with using factory Federal/American Eagle ammo (I won't be further seating the primers). 

Can I use any gun solvent on the titanium, Hoppe's #9?

Also both faces of the cylinder are black. I assume this is "soot" not a coating? Do folks normally not spend the elbow grease on cleaning it thoroughly?

I have a BMT on the way.

It came with TK Custom clips. Guga Ribas holster. 

Anything else I should know about a 929? Tips?

Edited by gr7070

The compensator really doesn't do anything on the 929 it will get dirty but clean the plug with Hoppes or I like MPro7. 

My trigger pull was 4.5 pounds and had no problem with Federal primers.  For their loaded ammo I would stick to 6.5 pounds.  

There is no problem in using any solvent on the titanium.

The face can be cleaned using brass steel wool and a lot of elbow grease.  It's not worth the effort to clean it.

I love my Guba Ribas holster.  Fast and secure.

7 hours ago, AzShooter said:

My trigger pull was 4.5 pounds and had no problem with Federal primers.  For their loaded ammo I would stick to 6.5 pounds.  

Is that with any substitutes? Mainspring? Extended firing pin? Others?

Does an SAO hammer help significantly?

Thanks!

Edited by gr7070

Factory ammo is fine, but for the best action job just mail the gun to TK. 

Keep the cylinder clean, both ends of it. I mean, if you want the gun to run 100%. 

What TK clips? .040 stainless?

The factory compensator does nothing. Both the factory options touch the bullet as it leaves the barrel eventually so either opening that hole up or shooting the gun without a cap is the best option. 

The aftermarket hammers are a huge improvement over the factory option, but fitting is tough to get correct. You can always chop the original, that has it’s give and takes as well. 

Much appreciate the replies!

The current trigger is quite nice as is. No clue what weight it is. Seller guessed 9ish pounds, which sounds reasonable??? However, if I can reliably shave some off of it with a few added modifications I might. 

Only modifications it has, is a 12# rebound spring and thousands of cycles. 

Definitely will consider an extended firing pin. Unsure I want to fit a new hammer for it, nor bob the existing. However, for significant gains I may. Is a stone needed for fitting?

I have two 929s, one set up with compensator and red dot, the other without. To evaluate compensator, I would shoot them side by side at the 12-15 yard steel in the shape of the USPSA A zone and look for the difference in the muzzle flip during fast shooting such as Bill Drill. It appears to me that the dot "dances" somewhat less than the irons, which I would attribute to the compensator. The recoil feel is the same and without shooting them side by side I couldn't tell the difference. 

It's something that you might want to consider as a better way to look at the function of the compensator instead of just going by the feel. 

43 minutes ago, gr7070 said:

It came with the black TK moon clips. Looking at their website their isn't a thickness option for these, only the SS?

I believe they are 0.035 - that's what TKC consider "standard." Only SS will have different thickness options. 

2 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Yes it was.  First was Vic Maehren with an Astra, and then Charlie  Prest really go the idea going using a S&W Model 28.  You can thank Charlie for the popularity of the 8 shot.

I heard Charlie was trying out for a spot on Dancing With the Stars. Any truth to that?

:)

I'm shooting Arizona State Revolver Championship, are you?

Look for the guy wearing this.

$_57.jpeg

Edited by ysrracer

51 minutes ago, MWP said:

By definition, the “comp” that is included with the 929 is actually a port- two different things. 

Ports don’t do the same things that comps do. 

Please enlighten me, curious. 

FWIW S&W calls it a compensator. I'm sure they choose their verbiage based on marketing more than anything. 

3 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I heard Charlie was trying out for a spot on Dancing With the Stars. Any truth to that?

:)

I'm shooting Arizona State Revolver Championship, are you?

Look for the guy wearing this.

$_57.jpeg

Nope,  not going to make it this year.  I can't get around at the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club in my wheelchair.

There’s a few threads about this, but the short version is that ports vent gas off so that there’s less perceived recoil since there is less gas (and mass) following the bullet out the barrel. These are usually most effective somewhere around 2-4” in a revolver. 

Alec, hit us with a picture of effective ports. 

Compensators collect the gas in a chamber, let it expand, then force it up to fight against rise. 

Ports reduce felt recoil, comps oppose muzzle rise. 

Here’s a properly compensated gun:

55A75088-A13A-4E27-A951-EED785B04754.jpeg

On 9/2/2019 at 4:26 PM, MWP said:

There’s a few threads about this, but the short version is that ports vent gas off so that there’s less perceived recoil since there is less gas (and mass) following the bullet out the barrel. These are usually most effective somewhere around 2-4” in a revolver. 

Alec, hit us with a picture of effective ports. 

Compensators collect the gas in a chamber, let it expand, then force it up to fight against rise. 

Ports reduce felt recoil, comps oppose muzzle rise. 

Here’s a properly compensated gun:

55A75088-A13A-4E27-A951-EED785B04754.jpeg

Would you please post more picture of this :) It looks too good for just "spy shots" :)

8 hours ago, IowaNewbie said:

Would you please post more picture of this :) It looks too good for just "spy shots" :)

I’ll do you one better. You can shoot it after the IRC on Sunday.