Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon press purchase progression

Got the 1050 set up on Friday and after several hours of messing with the primer system, it seems to be up and running.  Obviously it will take a few sessions to learn what feels/sounds normal, but it already seems far better than the 650.  I'm very happy I made the switch.  Now for that Mr. Bullet Feeder......

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So 20 years ago I got introduced to the Steel Challenge and my mentor / friend loaded on a RL1050. That's what I learned on. I can say that having someone with experience standing by to help with whatever came up was nice. Now days with all the YouTube videos, you probably would be alright.

For someone who want to load 9mm and 223, I'd say the 1050 is the way to go. The swaging station for those 2 calibers is well worth it.

I have a 550 and a 1050,  best of both worlds.  I use the 550 as a single stage for test loads and to to reload calibers I don't need mass #'s.  The 1050 for its numbers, swaging and primer depth.  I wouldn't get rid of either and I would buy both again.

Jim

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:44 PM, dillon said:

if you are a new loader, simply start by dropping one case into the case feed funnel, and run that case around the machine, and when the loaded cartridge ejects, drop another case into the funnel and repeat. Study what goes on at each station, and before long you'll understand the process well enough to load progressively.

This works on any of them.

I now have a 550 and a 1050.

The only thing wrong with the 1050 is that I am intimidated by the work needed to change calibers, so I leave it in .45 and load 9mm (mostly) on the 550 with occasional changes for low volume ammo like .38 Special and .45 Small Primer. 

Frankly at my rate of fire and time availability, I had just as well have kept my SDB for 9mm and .38; letting Dillon provide parts and repairs as required. 

I can honestly say that at first glance changing calibers on the 1050 was intimidating. until I took my time and I can honestly say it isn’t that hard just a few more steps and a few more minutes involved. I also have 2 550’s one for small primer and one for large primer. They do all of my short runs.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:41 AM, jim m said:

I have a 550 and a 1050,  best of both worlds.  I use the 550 as a single stage for test loads and to to reload calibers I don't need mass #'s.  The 1050 for its numbers, swaging and primer depth.  I wouldn't get rid of either and I would buy both again.

Jim

I think that will be my route. Waiting for a good used deal on either to pop up.