Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon press purchase progression

Hi everyone,

I'll start this out by saying I've never loaded center-fire ammo but have loaded 12 ga in the past. I still have access to a MEC loader and can brush up on my skills before buying a Dillon.

As I'm getting more into competitive shooting sports (USPSA and 3 gun), I'm looking at getting into reloading to help cut costs. Ok honestly, just to shoot a lot more for the same cost.

Initially, I was looking between a 550 and 650 with casefeeder and leaning towards the 650 all decked out to save on time. But now I'm thinking maybe get a basic 550 to learn on and then just jump up to a 1050/1100 to really crank out some rounds. Reading through some threads here about people upgrading to a 1050 and wishing they did it sooner, makes me really just want to grab a 550 to learn on and then start looking for a 1050. My plan would be to keep the 550 for smaller runs as well.

i shoot about 2k rounds a month but I could increase that if I started to reload. I shoot mostly 9mm and 223 right now but may also reload 40 in the future. Another part of the reason I want to reload is my wife has become more involved in shooting and would be nice if she didn't try to shoot all my ammo haha.

While money is a small concern, I value my time over the years as higher than paying the extra 1k or so to get the 1050 over the 650. If I can save hours a year loading on a 1050 over a 650, to me it's worth spending the extra money as the price of components will outpace the initial press cost pretty fast anyways. I'm not in a huge rush as I have a good amount of factory ammo to get me through next year and wanted to plan out my press purchase progression a bit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Hi everyone,

I'll start this out by saying I've never loaded center-fire ammo but have loaded 12 ga in the past. I still have access to a MEC loader and can brush up on my skills before buying a Dillon.

As I'm getting more into competitive shooting sports (USPSA and 3 gun), I'm looking at getting into reloading to help cut costs. Ok honestly, just to shoot a lot more for the same cost.

Initially, I was looking between a 550 and 650 with casefeeder and leaning towards the 650 all decked out to save on time. But now I'm thinking maybe get a basic 550 to learn on and then just jump up to a 1050/1100 to really crank out some rounds. Reading through some threads here about people upgrading to a 1050 and wishing they did it sooner, makes me really just want to grab a 550 to learn on and then start looking for a 1050. My plan would be to keep the 550 for smaller runs as well.

i shoot about 2k rounds a month but I could increase that if I started to reload. I shoot mostly 9mm and 223 right now but may also reload 40 in the future. Another part of the reason I want to reload is my wife has become more involved in shooting and would be nice if she didn't try to shoot all my ammo haha.

While money is a small concern, I value my time over the years as higher than paying the extra 1k or so to get the 1050 over the 650. If I can save hours a year loading on a 1050 over a 650, to me it's worth spending the extra money as the price of components will outpace the initial press cost pretty fast anyways. I'm not in a huge rush as I have a good amount of factory ammo to get me through next year and wanted to plan out my press purchase progression a bit.

Then just get a 1050 and figure it out. Sounds like that's where you want to be in the end. A 550 is not a progressive press so it won't teach you much as far as jumping to a 1050. I personally load on a 650 with Casefeeder, bullet feeder, etc. I can do a thousand or more in an hour if I wanted to, easy. For me all a 1050 would get me is swaging on the press instead of reaming a few pockets every winter. Don't overlook the 650. Just an FYI, if you want a 650 order soon as the 750 just came out and I still think the 650 has a better priming system.

Starting with the 1050 might be a little more work than a 550 but in the end its still the same fundamentals.  Be careful and pay attention and you'll be fine.  Just take your time.  Imaging all the time you'll save not setting up the other presses and selling them at a loss to buy the 1050 later.  Buy once cry once.

Two thoughts :

1.  the 1050 does NOT have the lifetime warranty that the 550 and 650 have

2.  having two or three different presses down the road sounds like it would save

you some time reloading , so I wouldn't be afraid to start with a 550 or 650.

BTW, if you shooting .223 under 300 yards, not sure it's worth reloading when the

55 gr 's are fairly inexpensive.  And, they're a pain to reload.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I personally load on a 650 with Casefeeder, bullet feeder, etc. I can do a thousand or more in an hour if I wanted to, easy.

For the record, I loaded on a 650 with all the add-ons from 2008-2017. This used to be me.

For me all a 1050 would get me is swaging on the press instead of reaming a few pockets every winter. Don't overlook the 650.

I’ve run a 1050 for a year now, and... You are wrong. Even setting aside other advantages (like the priming system keeping your next primer waiting forever while you index the press to clear a jam - no more ski jump) the 1050 is worth it just for the extra leverage.

I swear it takes 50% of the effort to cycle a 1050 as a 650. Same dies, same lubed 9mm brass. Loading 1,000 - 2,000 rounds is so much more friendly to my right shoulder and elbow.

If I were to do it over, I’d buy a 550 to learn and then jump directly to the 1050. Mostly because I’d love to have my 1050,  and a 550 laying around for small batches of odd stuff. :D 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

23 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

the 1050 does NOT have the lifetime warranty that the 550 and 650 have.

No. But the home reloader who runs through 20k a year or so will need far FAR fewer 1050 parts. I replaced certain things a few times each on my 650 in the process of running it for a decade.

The 1050 is substantially heavier. I always thought my 650 was solid, but it’s obvious when you make the switch that the 1050 is intended to load thousands of rounds day after day after day.

Everything I’d wear out or break on my 650 is now a roller vs a ramp, is much beefier, or is entirely redesigned.

Both presses have their flaws. Reloading innovations, InLine Fab, FFB, and other websites make $$$ upgrades/fixes for a reason. I’m not blind to that - I use some of those great products on both presses.

But the lack of a lifetime warranty on the 1050 isn’t causing me much loss of sleep. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

5 hours ago, m700 said:

How many calibers do you plan on reloading? And how many of each?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm planning on loading mostly 9mm and eventually 40. May look at 223 of they ever stop being really cheap.

5 hours ago, Edge40 said:

Buy once cry once.

This is pretty much my Outlook on buying which is why I was thinking about just getting the 1050/1100 if it ever comes out. I didn't think too hard about it for my first press but sounds like I should just skip to the end press. The one in the classifieds is tempting, but I wasn't planning on buying one so soon.

With that being said, I wouldn't plan on selling the 550 but keeping it for small batch stuff which is why I figured it might be worth starting out on.

Seems like most people who have a 1050 have multiple presses.

As much as I hate to disagree with another Forum member, the 550 is most definitely a progressive press. It is also a great press to learn on. Quoted from Dillon's website...Dillon’s RL 550C is the easiest progressive loader in the world to learn to reload with. I would think that many members here started out with the 550 and moved up. Learn the basics and then consider how much quantity you want to load. Your initial plan of learning on the 550 and then going to a 650  or 1050 is a good way to go. 

I've gone up and down the Dillon line up.

The presses I've always kept were the 550's, least amount of BS with keeping them running without breakdowns or re adjustments.

I can load easily 500 an hour if I fill my primer tubes ahead, I usually fill two then use the few minutes it takes to fill the tube to give my arms a rest.

If I shot more than 600 a week, EVERY week I'd buy a 1050.

It's easy to get over pressed but that isn't a bad thing if money is not an issue. IF that's the case buy to 1050 

When you need to load for a second caliber is where I don't like the 1050 and prefer the 550.

Also for me the lack of the case feeder rattling is a plus.  Kinda like the quite of the 550 compared to the case feeder models.

Just one mans thoughts

9 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've gone up and down the Dillon line up.

The presses I've always kept were the 550's, least amount of BS with keeping them running without breakdowns or re adjustments.

I can load easily 500 an hour if I fill my primer tubes ahead, I usually fill two then use the few minutes it takes to fill the tube to give my arms a rest.

If I shot more than 600 a week, EVERY week I'd buy a 1050.

It's easy to get over pressed but that isn't a bad thing if money is not an issue. IF that's the case buy to 1050 

When you need to load for a second caliber is where I don't like the 1050 and prefer the 550.

Also for me the lack of the case feeder rattling is a plus.  Kinda like the quite of the 550 compared to the case feeder models.

Just one mans thoughts

Kerchink, Kerplunk, Kerchink, Kerplunk.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

The reason I mention the warranty is that over the past 30 years that I've

been using my SDB, I have replaced MANY parts - nice to have them come

in for free.    :) 

Jack, have you ever had any other Dillon press besides the SDB? 

I've seen several (local to me) SDB's have to go back to Dillon...cracked frames, cracked arms, etc. The 550 is an absolute tank compared to the SDB.

1 hour ago, Youngeyes said:

As much as I hate to disagree with another Forum member, the 550 is most definitely a progressive press. It is also a great press to learn on. Quoted from Dillon's website...Dillon’s RL 550C is the easiest progressive loader in the world to learn to reload with. I would think that many members here started out with the 550 and moved up. Learn the basics and then consider how much quantity you want to load. Your initial plan of learning on the 550 and then going to a 650  or 1050 is a good way to go. 

Regardless of what they say, the 550 does not advance the plate when you pull the handle therefore it’s not truly progressive. It’s also the slowest press they sell other than the few oddballs.

Since when do you all hate to disagree with me? Now THAT’S funny.

You know I have been loading on my 550 for 5 yrs and it has been completely 100% reliable. The only problems I have had were self induced. Now I have a second 550 and a Super 1050. I mainly load all of my 40’s on the 1050, revolver rds on both 550’s. One press is for small primers and the other is for large primers. The 550 is a excellent press for R&D and small batches. The jump to the 1050 was a breeze and so worth it for my high usage rds. Just my opinion.

The biggest advantage I found with the 1050 is that it primes on the downstroke, and to a preset depth. Every other Dillon requires you to complete a full down-then-up cycle with the handle (which minutely pulls your body toward the machine), and then you have to push up on the handle to seat the primer (which minutely pushes your body away from the machine). I know it doesn't sound like much, but I don't really like reloading and do it only as a necessary evil, so I tend to reload lots of ammo during a session. All that pushing away and pulling towards the machine requires your body to continually make corrections, and tires you out sooner than just the single-direction effort of a 1050. Just lean in a little and start pulling handle. Less effort.

And knowing that every primer will be set to the same required depth with no extra effort is freakin awesome.

My normal rate was about 1,200 rounds/hour, until I added a Mr. Bullet Feeder. It instantly increased by 50% to 1,800/hour.

No Lifetime Warranty? That's true. However, a local shooter and kydex bender who runs Talon Tactical (Mike Benedict) got me past that concern when I was considering my first 1050. He said he had RL-1050, serial #3, and after 1,000,000 rounds sent it back to Dillon for a inspection and overhaul. It only cost him ~$250.00. I can live with that.

The 650 is still available to order from Dillon.  You just need to call and order it.  I have a 650 and I've had mine for over 10 years now.  Sure it's not a 1050, but with some aftermarket parts, it's smooth as silk.  For the price of a 1050 you can get the 650 with bullet feeder and casefeeder.  It's true the 650 doesn't swage, but you can always run a swage it or Armanov.  I use the swage it for my 3 gun 223 ammo.

20 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Two thoughts :

1.  the 1050 does NOT have the lifetime warranty that the 550 and 650 have

2.  having two or three different presses down the road sounds like it would save

you some time reloading , so I wouldn't be afraid to start with a 550 or 650.

BTW, if you shooting .223 under 300 yards, not sure it's worth reloading when the

55 gr 's are fairly inexpensive.  And, they're a pain to reload.

Ditto, prices like they are now with powder primers bullets and hazmat fees up, and loaded ammo down, loading 9mm and 223 isnt worth my time.