Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone load 9mm using .380 load data?

Whoops!

Yes, I have done this.  It makes a very, very soft shooting load.  Accuracy isn't the best but it's also not the worst.  It's going to be dependent on your gun & a lighter recoil spring to have the gun function with the weaker loads.  Use a fast burning powder.

380 bullets on 9mm hulls will also make a short OAL and this can sometimes lead to feeding issues.  Berry's has a 100 gr 9mm HBRN which allows you to use the soft 380 load data but have a more normal OAL.  This is what I currently use for these loads in place of the 380 projectiles I initially started playing around with.

(https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bp-9mm-356-100gr-hbrn)

If you aren't wanting to mess around with getting a lighter recoil spring for these loads then just use your normal 115 gr or 124/5 gr 9mm loads and stick one of the 100 gr 9mm HBRN projectiles on top instead of a 380 projectile.  It isn't quite as soft this way (with the factory recoil spring) but you'll find that it is still a tremendously soft shooting load.  Then load a few at a time in increments downward till you lose gun functionality, but I would predict that with the standard recoil spring still installed you won't be able to work the ladder too far downward.

Edited by BJB
add link

56 minutes ago, BJB said:

Yes, I have done this.  It makes a very, very soft shooting load.  Accuracy isn't the best but it's also not the worst.  It's going to be dependent on your gun & a lighter recoil spring to have the gun function with the weaker loads.  Use a fast burning powder.

380 bullets on 9mm hulls will also make a short OAL and this can sometimes lead to feeding issues.  Berry's has a 100 gr 9mm HBRN which allows you to use the soft 380 load data but have a more normal OAL.  This is what I currently use for these loads in place of the 380 projectiles I initially started playing around with.

(https://www.berrysmfg.com/item/bp-9mm-356-100gr-hbrn)

If you aren't wanting to mess around with getting a lighter recoil spring for these loads then just use your normal 115 gr or 124/5 gr 9mm loads and stick one of the 100 gr 9mm HBRN projectiles on top instead of a 380 projectile.  It isn't quite as soft this way (with the factory recoil spring) but you'll find that it is still a tremendously soft shooting load.  Then load a few at a time in increments downward till you lose gun functionality, but I would predict that with the standard recoil spring still installed you won't be able to work the ladder too far downward.

Thanks for the good info.

1 hour ago, Whoops! said:

I want to use .380 load data to make very weak 9mm loads.

Same bullet weight and powder, very deeply seated in a 9mm case.  Has anyone tried it?

Yes pretty much, except for the "very deeply seated". Just seat normally in a 9mm case and use an appropriate powder charge. Most 9mm semi-autos won't run on a real 380-equivalent load (matching bullet weight and velocity) but you can load down to minimum power for proper function. In most of my Glocks, that is a 100gr flat nose @ ~1050 fps, give or take a bit depending on the gun. The smaller/lighter slides generally run lighter loads; the little G43 will almost cycle 380 loads but not quite.

I use a 100gr FN bullet I cast over 3.2gr of Clays for my high-volume mild practice load; that one is very accurate. Seating depth is correct for a 9mm chamber, at 0.985". My large frame Tanfoglio is the only one I have that chokes on it, everything else feeds really well.

That load works great in stock G19 and other similar sized pistols for me, but does require a firm grip and wrists; the same load and guns don't cycle for several of my shooting buddies. With that in mind, you'll have to figure out the minimum powder charge for yourself.

For comparison, my stock G43 will cycle a 105gr SWC over 2.3gr of Clays. Yes 2.3gr, not a typo; it's a very mild load.

A bullet that works reasonably well for this stuff is the Extreme 100gr 380 bullet. It doesn't shoot as accurately as my 100-RF coated bullet, but does OK. 

OAL is for function. Gun powder burn rate , speed, and volume is for velocity and function. 
Id rather adjust from 9mm data, or just go wildcat with a chrono.
Pay attention to warnings,, some powders go batty with reduced charges.
For your use ? ( I am guessing mouse fart loads), Id go with a fast yet high volume per grain powder. Will fill more of case and give better accuracy usually.
Clays is very big for its weight, so is trail boss. Should be able to load some pretty light accurate loads with 100-120 bullets and those 2. Getting them to cycle is gonna depend on your gun and spring setup

This thread has got me thinking. Does anyone have a light load using coated 115 gr r/n with red dot or e3 for steel challenge? I do have some light springs will use these in a s2 or a Glock.

Edited by Dwbsig

I loaded some Precision coated 100g TC bullets over my usual charge(for 124s) of 3.8g Sport Pistol.  Functions perfectly in my S2, P09, and buddy's G19 (all sprung lighter).  Accurate and I'll try them at a Steel Challenge this weekend. Sure I could go lower, but it stays clean @ 3.8 and in a heavy gun like the S2 its light enough for now.