Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Budget Glock Racing Stable

dirtypool40

Guys Here's what I have going so far for my simple Glock Racing stable. I stayed away from the flea market thumb safety / beavertail combo, and tried not to over think it. I"m looking for simple, drop in, and easy to return to stock. No whittling, bondo or paint. I wanted to go cheap and just get the sights and trigger to where I could shoot them. The rest, as they say is practice.

Allright, have at me; Tell what I did wrong or you reccomend. I was thinking steel guide rods, but not sure if they are needed. what about lighter Springs? Buffs? ARGHGHGH!!! I'm out of control again. :wacko:

Anyway here they are....

G17 for IPSC Prod, IDPA and Carry

Heinie Rear, Dawson FO front .105 wide. May buy a matching Tritium night front if I ever carry this thing.

Seven flat bottomed high caps.

Slug plug with Armorers pins, if it's not verbotten.

TruGrip "Tactical" (which I may go without if I ever carry this thing)

Connector stolen from G34. 5# pull, slightly cleaned up, but sure to pull 5# at tech inspection. (Thanks PaulW ;) )

G34 for Prod & IDPA.

All above +

Sotelo 2.75# drop in kit.

Gonna throw away the extended slide release as soon as I buy a new one.

G35 for Lim / Standard.

All above +

6 mags with either Dawson 140 pads (for 20 rounds) , or Arredondo box compliants (for 18 reloadable). Woulda bought all Arredondos, but the Dawsons are on sale.

Cali Comp works Magwell

JP mag release button.

How'd I do????

Again, be kind. Please don't tell my daddy.

Edited by dirtypool40

fair enough.

Right now the parts are scattered over Florida, but within a week or two I should be up. Of course if Derek gets all motivated in the mean time, it's NEW RAIL GUN!!! :D

But if I settle home in FL, I will drag 'em G-loks out to a match somewhere.

No plugs allowed in production --- anywhere.

The JP mag release? Might not be necessary --- usually the G34/5 mag release, which is nothing more than the G20/21 mag release put in the skinnier frame, works.....

If you decide to shoot 132ish 147 gr. loads for production, you may well need to go to a reduced power recoil spring ---- in which case you'll need a steel rod if you go with Wolff springs. Also ---- if you change the recoil spring ----you SHOULD change the striker spring to the reduced power one from Wolff. In that case you may need Federal primers in your ammo.....

No plugs allowed in production --- anywhere. 

The JP mag release?  Might not be necessary --- usually the G34/5 mag release, which is nothing more than the G20/21 mag release put in the skinnier frame, works.....

If you decide to shoot 132ish 147 gr. loads for production, you may well need to go to a reduced power recoil spring ---- in which case you'll need a steel rod if you go with Wolff springs.  Also ---- if you change the recoil spring ----you SHOULD change the striker spring to the reduced power one from Wolff.  In that case you may need Federal primers in your ammo.....

See now you're getting complex, But I appreciate it. If I get at all serious about shooting them, I'l probably go with the SS rod. Which one do you guys like? I only shoot WSP primers, and I do like the way my 1911 tracks with lighter springs, so it seems natural to try it. Damnit, where was that Borwnell's link...

Also, I hate the stock extended release, and am hitting the one on the 34 with a nail file before I ever shoot it. You gotta wonder if they ever test drove the thing before they put it on the market. It just shreds my hand.

I also have trouble depressing it, and wanted to try a button. I'm a simplicity nut with the 1911 and don't shoot a button anymore, but I am sorta playing with the G-loks to see what I like. Magwell should help too, we'll see.

The Arredondo pads I bought are the +3 Box compliants. They get you up to 18 reloadable. they ar epretty slick and I think when not on the .40 mags they'll rest on the 9mm mags for carry or nightstand. They are +4 over there and 21 + 1 in a gun with a light I can run like a belt fed seems to make sense to me.

The Dawson pads are for USPSA 140mm, and get you up to 20, I hope reloadable. I really was close to buying all arredondo, but the slicky-boy Dawsons were on sale for $30.

Edited by dirtypool40

Sounds good, but maybe too much little stuff.

I wouldnt have bothered with the new mag release or the magwell. You of all people have done enough reload practice. I can dig wanting as many coaches in your corner as possible, but I actually found it harder to reload with a magwell. A lot of people act like they are so horribly difficult to reload, but once you get the difference in grip angle figured out and learn how to hold the gun upright when hitting the mag release, all should go fine. I still reload my G34 faster than my STI.

As for spring and rod, I've shot everything from sub minor up to about 150 pf with the stock stuff. If you like the feel of a lighter spring, fine, but dont think it is 100% nessecary. I bought a 15# spring and a steel rod and ended up putting the stock back in and leaving that one in the bag for a spare.

EricW said somewhere (and I think he was 100% right) that you shouldnt try to make a Glock a 1911, cuz it aint. Screw with it less, shoot it more and you will be surprised with the results.

I'd stay away from the non-plastic mag releases..they seem to chew up mags.

As far as the guide rod, the steel ISMI rod and 15 lb spring is smooth. No binding and it returns really fast and consistent.

Some do well with the stock rod/spring, some like a 13. My 13 needed 4 coils cut off to get full slide travel and it didn't track the way I like. The springs/rod are cheap enough to try.

Just the normal [extended] plastic mag release for all 3 guns - it comes standard with a G34 or G35.

The G35 will be more manageable with a Tom Novak steel guide rod and 15lb Wolff spring, you may have to cut back 2 or 3 coils. The rod is cheap, heavy, and lasts forever. The springs are good for a year. *Click*

Edited by eric nielsen

Good stuff guys. I think I might order myself one of them new fangled guide rods.

As to Derek, we jst got all the parts in last week. We're hoping for a running gun a week before the monster match. I should start a new thread on that one. :)

Z, I'm sure a golf guy like you has seen Dead Solid Perfect with Randy Quaid. Remember when his caddy is talking about the girlfriend?

"I'd just look over once in a while and call her bitch."

That's the break in on a new gun too. Gotta let her know who's boss. B)

SUKONTHISAWONTIME - Pauly Shore

Dirtypool40 - "I have seen glocks choke as often as other brands, and yes, in my hands too. Most times it was the same disease as the other brands, letting some one monkey around with them."

Yup, that will happen with poor reloads and tinkerer's adjusting. Still, there is no comparision with box stock Glock reliability vs. 1911's. You don't even have to spend an extra $500 to get a Glock to run.

I saw an interesting T-Shirt at the Ohio State IDPA Championship Match.

It read:

"Colts and Kimbers are what you show to your friends,

Glocks are what you show to your enemies."

:D

Edited by rmills

Eric,

your choice of steel or tungsten guiderods will be determined in part by who's springs you decide to use. ISMI springs fit on the stock guiderod, after you remove the captive plug or the T.H.E. Accessories Tungsten rod. Wolff springs don't fit on the Tungsten or stock rods, but Wolff makes a steel rod that works with their springs. There are other manufacturers of rods out there, and possibly of springs, but these are the ones I have experience with. My glocks don't choke, with the exception of an out of spec reload, because I set 'em up and then just shoot 'em.....