Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR15 magwell?

18 hours ago, RandyBaker said:

What’s the best magwell for the GMR15 or is it even needed?

By far the Taylor freelance. I was able to get to near 90 degrees from correct orientation and the mag still oriented and slid in easily. If you miss the opening you know you did something stupid / too fast. It's enormous and very well designed for solid lockup. I've been shoving reloads into it pretty hard in dry fire over the past month and it's still super tight. 

Well, I'm going against the grain and I use a Titan Rocket. It's not as "Pretty" as the TF or the one jp sells (I forget the name), but it works, and for about half the price. Other than classifiers how often do you need to change mags anyway?

3 hours ago, egd5 said:

Well, I'm going against the grain and I use a Titan Rocket. It's not as "Pretty" as the TF or the one jp sells (I forget the name), but it works, and for about half the price. Other than classifiers how often do you need to change mags anyway?

It doesn’t work nearly as well. It’s rough on the inside and mags definitely hang up on the ridges on the inside of the magwell. It was also completely full of splinters to the point that I had to essentially refinish it with files and sand paper to both make it fit and make the finish acceptable. Definitely would not recommend.

”the one JP sells” is the tech well. Mag changes can definitely strongly affect your classification and can lose you a match. If that’s worth saving $30, have at it.

9 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

By far the Taylor freelance. I was able to get to near 90 degrees from correct orientation and the mag still oriented and slid in easily. If you miss the opening you know you did something stupid / too fast. It's enormous and very well designed for solid lockup. I've been shoving reloads into it pretty hard in dry fire over the past month and it's still super tight. 

I’m actually on the fence a little about whether it’s better to have the opening max size like the TF or smaller like the tech well to help against rocking. Thoughts?

I'll admit I had to do a little smoothing on the inside of mine, but no big deal. I'm not at a level where a half second or so on a mag change is going to cause me to lose anything so....

And I'm cheap!

If you do have to reload shooting pcc it is because you were forced to, very rarely by your choice. So if the stage brief or an error is forcing me to reload I want the maximum benefit of having a magwell. To me that means having the larger opening.