Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live Fire Drills for the beginner

champ198

I would invest in Ben Stoeger Breakthrough Marksmanship book. I took his class last June and we did all of his drills that are in this book. It was very helpful and he gives you some diagnosis diagrams to help figure out whats happening. I still do a lot to the drills today, such as his doubles. I will continue to use these drills to keep refining the basics which helps in my overall shooting. 

My go to drills are:

20 aces - 4 strings of 5 shots at 25 yds.  5 second par time for each string.  Really forces you to grip the gun and teaches you how to shoot fast and accurate.  This is also how I sight my gun in. 

5 shots at 25 yds (5 second par time), 3 shots at 15 (3 second par), 3 shots at 10 (2.25 second par), 3 shots at 7 (1.75 second par), 3 shots at 3 (1.25 second par).  These are done at each yard line wrists below belt AND wrists above shoulders, par time remains the same for each type of draw.  Goal is to make par times and all A's.  Shooting more than two shots really forces you to "grip" the gun hard. 

2 rounds at 25 yds.  Your target time should be consistently under 2 seconds.  Cleans up a lot of sloppiness! 

4 aces - 2 reload two at 7 and 10 yds.  Trying to keep everything under 3 seconds.  Review all your shots on your timer each string. 

Draw and step into shooting area, 3, 7, 10, 15 and 25. 

Set up banks of targets using hard cover and no shoots and incorporate a plate rack into it.  Shoot a plate, transition to paper, back to plate, etc. etc. 

For dry fire I follow Steve Anderson Refinement and Repetition and do all the drills.  For live fire, have a plan before you get there and execute your plan.  I am currently shooting single stack minor, so accuracy is my goal.  Hope this helps. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...