Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where are you located?

Just curious where everyone is from...

I live in Tampa, FL., and I shoot... well, will shoot soon, in Ruskin, FL.  I know there are  a couple of shooters here from the area, but maybe there's more.

I know there are others from around FL, and a bunch are from AZ. Other than that, I don't know a whole lot about everybody.

So why don't you sign in and let us know where you are and maybe a little bit about yourself.

I'll start.

Like I said, I live in Tampa, FL.  I used to shoot IPSC about a million years ago (actually more like 17).

I was an "A" class shooter back then.  I used to shoot mostly in NJ and PA.  I used to shoot with fellows like John Ricco, Walt Rauch, Frank Behlert, and at about the time I was leaving the sport, there was this new kid shooting that people were talking about;  Jerry Barnhart.  I even got to see him shoot once (man, he was fast)

Anyway, I just have started getting the itch to get back into competing again.  I attended my first match (didn't shoot) a couple of weeks ago.  I was curious to see how much the sport had evolved since I dropped out oh so many years ago.

A lot has changed, but even more has stayed the same.  The camaraderie and good natured ribbing is still there as well as all the good things that I remembered.  I will start competing again in a few weeks, as soon as I can iron out a few equipment issues.  I must say I am really looking forward to it.

I came across this forum a few weeks ago because I was trying to read up as much as I could on the sport and just for grins I started typing in all the names I remembered and of course Brian was one of the first.

This site is an excellent resource and I have to commend BE on not only having it but also being so active a participant and so willing to share his knowledge with us.  The same goes for all the other members of this forum who are always so willing to share and help whenever they can.

This is how I remember the sport... only it's better now.

Homero

I live right smack dab in the middle of Wyoming. I used to shoot NRA Bullseye, PPC, the National Shooter's League, and early NRA Action pistol all with a revolver. I quit shooting about 10 years ago because there wasn't a place to shoot.

Two years ago I got back into the picture when I decided I wanted to learn how to shoot a 1911 style pistol. I shoot in Casper, Wyoming and in Dubois, Wyoming, but both of those clubs are 100 miles one way.  Last year myself and a couple of other guys chartered IPSC 45 right here in little ol' Shoshoni.

Making Master is my goal and I am becoming a serious student of the sport. I derive a great deal of personal satisfaction out of promoting the shooting sports and I enjoy building props, setting up courses, and so on almost as much as I enjoy shooting.

My real job is teaching informational technologies at the local high school and I am an Internet junkie. I can say without reservation that this is the most professional, well run, and informative shooting related forum on the Web bar none.

Nice to meet you Ron.

I agree with your assertions about this forum.  It is a wonderful resource.  Good luck with your goal.  I'll see if I can't catch up to you one of these days.  BTW, what is your classification now?

What helped you the most when you started up in IPSC/USPSA?  Do you shoot IDPA as well?

Thanks

Homero

My name is Daniel Cook #A-43119. Bigbadaboom comes from my wifes favorite movie "The Fifth Element" and is her nickname for me, and she's a redhead, go figure..

Hardball and I are very good friends 99% of the time(LOL Chris ) and were introduced into USPSA at the same time by a great mutual friend about two and a half years ago. I didn't have a lot of experience with pistol shooting (once a month at the indooor range) and was extreamly humbled at my first match.

I have an extensive knowlege about long range rifle shooting and sub-gun experience from military duty.

I'm located in Deltona FL. and I shoot Orlando, Tittusville, St. Augustine, and Port Malabar. I get to shoot almost every Saturday and go to Church every Sunday so I pretty much have it made.

This is, by far, the best shooting forum on the net and I am very happy to be part of USPSA.

"Few men strive for true Freedom Most only hope for a just Master"

Cypher:

I shoot IDPA about once every two months and I like it almost as much as IPSC.  I went from B Limited to A then back to B because of some special circumstances. When the database is run this month I'll be A in Limited and B in Limited 10. I am a long way from master class, but I'll be there by the end of the year.

I came to IPSC from other shooting disciplines (Master in PPC with a revolver) and I was new to the 1911 style pistol. Brian's book helped me a lot as did Jerry Barnhart's tapes. The single biggest obstacle to "crossing over" was learning to shoot at speed and Brian's chapters on sight pictures and calling the shots were a huge help. Did I mention that I am hooked on Brian's book?

Cypher,

Just to confuse you, I live in Auckland, New Zealand, 12hrs by Boeing from LA. I have been shooting pistol since 1990. Started with Olympic Bullseye and soon moved to IPSC and Service Pistol ( Similar to PPC ). Slowly gravitated to NRA Bianchi Cup. Still shoot lots of IPSC. Represented the UK ( I'm a Limey ) at the NRA world Shoot in 1999, shooting Stock ( actually won the teams event, thanks to excellent shooting by the rest of the team ). John Pride, Doug Koenig showed us how to do it properly. I intend to get up to the Bianchi as soon as funds allow. But I keep falling in love with firearms and they are worse than women at keeping you poor.

This has to be the best site for info about shooting and all sorts of other neat shit that I have ever used.

Happy Shooting to all.

Chattanooga,Tn.Started practical shooting in 98.Limited C,Limited 10 C.Until I started this sport I was more of a gun owner than a shooter.I have fired more rounds since 98 than I have in all my other years combined.I wish I had started 12 years earlier,They had a local club here that put on really good matches.Now days you have to drive to Oak Ridge,Nashville,or Atlanta.

(Edited by et45 at 4:41 pm on May 3, 2002)

San Diego California checking in..

Started shooting small bore rifles in 1985...then in 1989 started shooting MP5's via my rich Uncle Sam. Walked away from guns in 1998. And 6 months ago was given a spirtiual awaking at my "first" IPSC match as a spectator...

My goal is a simple one....I want to shoot agianst "TGO".

Dont care about winning...just want the honor of standing next to him and shooting....of course if I happen to win.....(Ok nap time is over)

Cypher,

Like you I stopped shooting in 1985, I was then shooting outside of Ft. Lewis Wa. around the Tacoma area.  I stopped shooting cause of a serious double knee injury I incurred on active duty.  

I just started shooting again, this last December, I had my knee finally replaced last April 17th.

I live in Ft. Pierce, Fl. and shoot clubs in Frostproof, Stuart, Palm Bay, and Titusville.  I was a "B" shooter back in the day and now crave to move back up to the top of the ladder as soon as possible.

Still have'nt been moved from "U" yet, I've only shot about 20 classifiers, some of the clubs seem to be slow to send'em in.

Oh, yeah Hardball and PaulW as well as a bunch of other people have been a great help in returning to the "Sport/Game."

(Edited by Sgt Rock at 9:53 pm on May 3, 2002)

Hello Everyone!  Please allow me to introduce myself.   I am BONEDADDY!   If you are not well schooled in anthropology you may not immediately recognize my name.   I am the least well-known member of the Daddy clan.   My brother Hoosier Daddy lives in Indiana, and made his fortune in the racing tire industry.  His tires were seen so frequently taking victory laps, that fans began to shout at the also-rans, "Hoosier Daddy?"          

My infamous uncle Sugar has also gain a fair amount of success working for a studio in Hollywood.   His specialty is moving attractive young blondes into his home and fawning over them, while he finds bit-parts for them in "B" movies.  But, I'm sure you are all familiar with his work.  

As for me, after college, I began my career as a corporate headhunter for a large conglomerate in the Congo.  At the time, we were listed on the Savage 500.  Through skillful manipulation and no small amount of treachery, I soon rose to the office of Chief Executive Officer and BONEDADDY.   (The name really loses a lot in translation, but if you had ever heard it roll like thunder over the jungle intercom,  you would understand why I have chosen to hang on to it.)   But, as the bard put it, I soon "suffered the slings and arrows of outragous fortune" and was summarily ousted a few years ago in what amounted to a hostile takeover.   Fortunately, I had read enough of the Dilbert comic strips to understand how the corporate world functions and had prepared, quite litterally,  my own golden parachute.   My private launch,  a 426 Hemi-powered air boat, was heavily laden with "trinkets and shiny rocks" the night I made my exodus from that land.  I escaped almost entirely unscathed, mostly due to the fact that none of the "barbarians at the gate" had ever heard an alcohol-fueled, blown Hemi before and assumed that I was being swept away to a vengeful death by an angry god.   It made a great cover story.

So, like a host of other ousted leaders, ex-spooks,  and federally protected witnesses, I left my checkerd past behind and started a new life in a small town in Wyoming.

A 14-year refugee from Californy, I joined USPSA a year after I got to Oregon....that would be 1989.  Like SG, I've retired a few times...the first in about 1991 when a wonderful .38 Stupid went down the terlit and cost me a big match, ceased my advancement to A Class....pissed me off big-time....yeah, none of it was my fault....

So here I am rebuilding my classification, shooting more matches, both IPSC and steel (we have lots of both in Ory...).....I'm back to enjoying it.

.....and I'm not so mad anymore.....:)

Chriss,  we could call the stage "Barbarians at the Gate"! I can come up with  2000 angry savages at just about any WWF wrestling match.  But, finding another Hemi-powered air boat is going to be the tricky part.  :) Hmmmmm, anybody ever get to ride the Widowmaker down at the San Juan Range?    

I'm located at the cosmically accepted *exact* center of the Universe, to wit: the NW1/4NW1/4 of Section 3, Township 2 South, Range 2 West of the Boise Meridian, Owyhee County, Idaho.

Claims to the contrary are simply the work of Sataan himself!

I'm from Windsor, Ontario, Canada, right across from Detroit Mich.  I saw an IPSC match on American shooter about 4 years ago and I just had to get into the sport.  Now I consider myself a certified IPSC nut.  I used to only shoot the monthly USPSA matches that the nearby clubs in Mich. and Ohio put on, but  now I regulary drive 2 hours just to go shoot a 60 round match in centeral Ont.

I'm a B class shooter over here and I am 5% away from becomeing an A class in Canada.  I also do some shotgunning from time to time.  I tend to get some weird looks when I show up at the trap and skeet ranges in my area with a ten round tube and a side saddle on my shotgun.  Once all this form 6 stuff gets ironed out, I'm looking forward to meeting some of you at a match.

Indiana.  Been shooting IPSC for about 10 months.  Not worth a rip.  I have already experienced (IMO) more magazine problems in the last 6 mos than one should be allowed in a lifetime.

Since I travel for my job 200+ days/yr, I havent' had too much opportunity to become a regular at any club around.  But, shooting at a lot of different clubs is definately cool, especially when you tank a classifer by slipping on the wet plywood and taking a dive into the gravel!!!

Oh yeah, everyone here is the greatest!

Dave Pluimer

A45672