Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Legion Recoil spring

Rich406

My XFive is running a Grey Guns Fat Guide Rod.  I bought Wolff Springs Colt 1911 Mark IV and Gold Cup Model springs. Pictured below is their 13 lb #41913.  I have two more Wolff Springs, a 12 lb. #41912 and a 14 lb. #41914. They have other springs with different rates.  There are others who sell them, check Springer Precision and ISMI. Springs have either round wire or flat wire. The guide rod will determine which type of spring is needed, round or flat.  Also, be careful to get the springs made for a 5” long barrel.

B86303A9-919C-4D15-9927-C335BDDC5037.jpeg

Edited by DCSigCZ

im looking for a 1911 spring of comparable length, its 2-3” longer than a  wolf spring.  The gun seems to run better with the longer 12# spring than I could get my X5s to run with a 12# wolf. 

sig says they will be for sale in a few weeks, but I was curious if there were any other manufacturers that made something similar. 

19 hours ago, Rich406 said:

im looking for a 1911 spring of comparable length, its 2-3” longer than a  wolf spring.  The gun seems to run better with the longer 12# spring than I could get my X5s to run with a 12# wolf. 

sig says they will be for sale in a few weeks, but I was curious if there were any other manufacturers that made something similar. 

I have noticed that too. It is a lot more difficult to put the guide rod back in due to the length. 

Hello: check with Wolff springs since they used to sell a 1911 spring for a 6" slide that was longer than a standard 1911 5" spring. Not sure why you would want the longer spring since you may run into coil bind problems. You should check for that when you get the new spring. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: check with Wolff springs since they used to sell a 1911 spring for a 6" slide that was longer than a standard 1911 5" spring. Not sure why you would want the longer spring since you may run into coil bind problems. You should check for that when you get the new spring. Thanks, Eric

when I ran a standard 12# wolf spring in my X5 after a few thousands rounds the slide would have issues going back into battery. And I’m not talking about when racking it softly by hand, I had some issues not going into battery after firing a shot. After it toasted a match for me, I don’t trust the 12# standard 1911 springs

The longer springs sig now uses seem to make the gun function much more reliably with a lighter spring. 

Hello: I am running a ISMI 12.5lb 1911 spring on a tungsten guide rod. It works great. The stock Sig spring maybe a stronger recoil spring so that maybe why it works better? The stock Gray Guns spring that they sell with their guide rod tested at 14.5lbs on my tester. Give Wolff a call and see what they have. Thanks, Eric

To get some criteria with which to quantify the springs that actually perform reliably in our pistols, so we can then identify and purchase replacement & additional springs that will also function reliably, regardless of supplier, we need to capture the following data points for each lb. rating of spring that works well:

0) Pistol model - P320 XFive or Legion XFive 

1) Spring supplier. 

2) Supplier’s rating of the spring (generally in pounds).  

3) The actual number of coil turns in that spring. 

4) The diameter of the wire of that spring if it is round, or the ribbon thickness if it is flat wire 

5) the Bullet grain weight and Power Factor of the load shot successfully with that spring.

6) We can also measure the free length of the spring, but that is really a ballpark measurement versus a precision one because even two compressions of the spring can notably change that dimension. 

If the new, longer Sig springs seem to be an improvement in reliability, we should measure them and all other springs guys are using successfully.  We can obviously share the data here. If you also PM me with your data, I will make a spreadsheet and record it in one place for us. Just be patient because I work long hours and don’t have a lot of free time. 

(There’s more measurements that can and should be taken, but that requires metrology labs and instruments so I’ve not gone into the Detailed Engineering Zone to spare you and keep this post shorter.)

There’s a lot of anecdotal info here about recoil springs and guide rods, along with many questions, some due to the Legion  acting differently than the original XFive. If you’ve figured it out, good on you. If other folks want data to decide, I provided characteristics to measure to capture what works and prevent trial and error. I also offered to help by recording data to see if results are consistent. If people aren't into that, that’s fine too. 

Edited by DCSigCZ

This got me curious so I pulled out the 12# Legion spring, counted 34 coils. Legion 14# has 33 coils. And a new Wolff 12# had 31 coils and is shorter. I drop the Wolff in and it was too easy to insert and racking the slide and cycling a few dummies felt too weak. I wouldn’t trust this Wolff 12# in a match.

So what is this Sig red 12# spring?

212e01033b5e96abc66a343b4a9b9bef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if there was any resolution on this -- do standard 1911 springs (like Wolff) work in the Legion, even though the springs that ship with the Legion are longer?

I see Sig has replacement springs available now -- I was just curious.