Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training for Competitive Shooting

JoeSoop

I have noticed a significant improvment in my ability to manuever through a course of fire in USPSA since I started to take my physical fitness more seriously. Howvever, I am always looking to improve my movement and was wondering what everyone was doing to train for compettive shooting. I am not talking about gun handling and entries/exists, but more physical fitness to have more explosive movements. Thanks.

When I was rehabbing from a knee operation my PT had me do agility ladder drills. Although I was rehabbing and this was toward the end of my rehab, the side effects was improved ability to change direction. Ability to accelerate and decelerate quickly and switch positions fast. Plus it was a pretty good cardio. This is something worth including into a regular workout regiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think agility drills would be the best option.

I have no before and after drill times, I started weightlifting for reasons other than shooting. Strengthening the legs with deadlift and squat variations I believe has improved my sprint, definitely made staying low less fatiguing, and getting down for low ports and importantly up from them pretty effortless.

New here so take this for what it's worth but I would look at some stability exercises.

I started training with bosu ball squats and single leg body weight squats and it helps my movement a lot. Helps with your stability as we as showing any weakness in your legs i.e. pushing off with left vs right leg.

I started doing this in physical therapy after the Army destroyed my knees and it helps with knee pain as well as my overall movement.

21 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

New here so take this for what it's worth but I would look at some stability exercises.

I started training with bosu ball squats and single leg body weight squats and it helps my movement a lot. Helps with your stability as we as showing any weakness in your legs i.e. pushing off with left vs right leg.

I started doing this in physical therapy after the Army destroyed my knees and it helps with knee pain as well as my overall movement.

Is it enough to search for Bosu Ball workouts?

14 hours ago, xdf3 said:

Is it enough to search for Bosu Ball workouts?

On 7/31/2019 at 1:34 PM, Beef15 said:

I would think agility drills would be the best option.

I have no before and after drill times, I started weightlifting for reasons other than shooting. Strengthening the legs with deadlift and squat variations I believe has improved my sprint, definitely made staying low less fatiguing, and getting down for low ports and importantly up from them pretty effortless.

The squats and deadlifts have helped with endurance for staying low as well. Good point.

I 2nd squats and deadlifts like someone said earlier. Makes holding odd positions so much better, and improves balance dramatically (leaning around a barricade, getting down on one knee, etc). Side planks also help a lot with odd positions. Do 1 min per side 4-5 days a week. I've also noticed that since I've been rowing and bench pressing (for reasons unrelated to shooting) my recoil control seems to have improved a lot. Deadlifts and rows work the grip hard, and harden your hands/upper back, benching and rowing adds mass/weight up top. Haven't done agility drills in a long time but it may be something I'll try soon. If you don't want to lift weights you could do: walking lunges, pushups or dips, pullups or inverted rows, planks/side planks. That should cover the bases pretty well.

Edited by BigJerm

19 hours ago, BigJerm said:

I 2nd squats and deadlifts like someone said earlier. Makes holding odd positions so much better, and improves balance dramatically (leaning around a barricade, getting down on one knee, etc). Side planks also help a lot with odd positions. Do 1 min per side 4-5 days a week. I've also noticed that since I've been rowing and bench pressing (for reasons unrelated to shooting) my recoil control seems to have improved a lot. Deadlifts and rows work the grip hard, and harden your hands/upper back, benching and rowing adds mass/weight up top. Haven't done agility drills in a long time but it may be something I'll try soon. If you don't want to lift weights you could do: walking lunges, pushups or dips, pullups or inverted rows, planks/side planks. That should cover the bases pretty well.

Great info BigJerm...thanks for sharing the regiment. Will work it into my training for sure.

• 1 month later...