Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson ice magwell 1911

1911vm

The Dawson Ice fits fine in the USPSA box, which is identical to the IDPA box* except the USPSA box is 3/16" longer in the muzzle direction.  Which isn't likely to be important for magwell fit.  

Unless your 1911 has a whole lot of barrel sticking out past the slide, it will fit with a DP Ice on.

*the "main" IDPA box.  I can't be bothered to keep track of all the sub-boxes they have now...

On 7/28/2019 at 2:28 PM, 1911vm said:

I was thinking about switching to this one . Just trying to decide on pros and cons. 

Magwell 1911 IPSC Classic Division by Dawson Precison

•  

Magwell 1911 IPSC Classic Division by Dawson Precision

The ice magwell is a good bit bigger than the ipsc magwell.  It is probably personal preference.  The ipsc doesnt have an insert, if that is something that is important to you.

11 minutes ago, 1911vm said:

which mags do you use with the ice

What caliber?

I used wilson 47d and ETM mags, both with dawson pads.  They can be seated without a base pad, but a base pad certainly helps.  I used tripp/corey system 10 round 10mm mags with my .40.  They were good to go without after market base pads.

I use the gap version as well with Dawson Precision mags.  I’ve thought about changing the base pads and trying the no gap insert but I don’t seem to have any problems with the mags catching in the gap on a reload so I’ve left it as is so far.

ETA...this is on a 9mm STI Trojan.

Edited by CUTiger

For 9mm-- Dawson mags with the gap magwell and basepads.  I'll use Tripp's for practice as well as they unload a lot easier, but that can bite you when a round slides forward and sticks up a reload in a match.

No gap is a bit nicer if you are stocking all up from scratch or if your reload technique catches on the gap, but if you have a collection of mags and whatnot that you don't want to mess with, the gap style works with any random 1911 mag.