Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading feeding issues. 40S&W open glock

Angelr15

I have built a new toy glock for shooting open division uspsa out of a glock 22. Gun has shot well with factory ammo but I just switched out to a large 4 port Carver custom compensator so I started loading appropriate ammo for the compensator. I just loaded up my first batch of 40 s&w ammo. I am new to reloading pistol ammo but have reloaded for my rifles for several years.

I loaded mixed brass with the following load

All brass measured, cleaned, lubed, sized/deprimed, swaged, cleaned, primed, belled, charged, seated/lightcrimped. Check cycling them in the gun and had no setback.

Federal small pistol magnum primer

8.5 grains of Hodgdon HS6

Berrys bullets 155 grain fp

Loaded to 1.125

I had no pressure signs and the load shot well through my gun but it had about 30 failure to feeds out of 100 rounds this morning. 

Not sure where to start for resolving the issue. Longer OAL maybe? Gun has recommended 15lb recoil spring from Carver custom but issues happens both why shooting and manually cycling.

Here are a few pictures of the issue and the round once cleared as well as the barrel feed ramp. Any help is appreciated !

20190715_091803_zpswazebzuq.jpg

20190715_091639_zpsvgyk1bju.jpg

20190715_091620_zpsyc3vlq77.jpg

20190715_101354_zps7h3wdwvk.jpg

IMG_20190712_085326_598_zpswqcfirb7.jpg

Edited by Angelr15

I have not chronograph the round yet. The load is close to the book max load and should easily make power factor. 

Book has this load making 175PF so even if it comes in low it should still be over 165...

Also this happens when manually cycling the slide or sending it home with the slide release as well so it isnt charge related.

20 minutes ago, costeel said:

Have you tried polishing the breach face and the barrel hood?

"polishing the breach face" sounds like an euphemism for something best done in private...

I had to do a double-take and make sure I didn't sleep-post this, as you pretty much describe my issues. Only differences are I'm using 140gr SNS bullets, a tich less powder, and 13lbs spring.

I had just reassessed my crimp and whatnot, trying to make it more pronounced, but that didn't solve my issues either. So maybe I'll have to try polishing mine up.

6 minutes ago, Barcode1337 said:

I had to do a double-take and make sure I didn't sleep-post this, as you pretty much describe my issues. Only differences are I'm using 140gr SNS bullets, a tich less powder, and 13lbs spring.

I had just reassessed my crimp and whatnot, trying to make it more pronounced, but that didn't solve my issues either. So maybe I'll have to try polishing mine up.

Oh goodness at least I'm not alone lol I am going to try a rounded shoulder bullet too to see if that helps. Not sure how to go about polishing the mentioned items... dremel and compound and how much and where lol

If possible shoot this same load out of that gun without the compensated barrel in it. 

You are on the road to madness if you don't take a very deliberative approach to troubleshooting. Also try factory ammo with the compensated barrel. 

I use flitz.

By barrel hood, I meant top side of the chamber (where your bullet is hitting).

you are just trying to smooth out machining marks and reduce friction on the chambered round.

Same for the breach face.

Check out the tangfolio forum, lots of good info on polishing the chamber and breach face from those guys.

5 minutes ago, Angelr15 said:

Happy to report that I changed bullet profile to rounded shoulder and adjusted OAL and it is running great so far.

When you say you changed the profile, are you meaning you switched from the truncated cone (or whatever you have in the pics) to round nose?

What OAL did you tweak it to?

1 hour ago, Barcode1337 said:

When you say you changed the profile, are you meaning you switched from the truncated cone (or whatever you have in the pics) to round nose?

What OAL did you tweak it to?

I switched bullets from a berrys flat point to a berrys rounded shoulder. I also changed the OAL to 1.135 from 1.125 as this is the recommended COAL for this bullet and it feeds great. I played up and down with slowly manipulating the slide to load the rounds with no recoil spring and found this to be smooth and consistent.