Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blackening front sight post

My CZ SP-01 shadow front sight seems to have been dinged, and a bit of the finish has come off. As a result, the top left corner often LOOKS LIKE it's missing the corner, when in reality it's just the light shining off the now naked metal. What's the best method to blacken this? I've seen people using lighter-based sight blackeners. However, I've got a fibre optic road in my front sight, and don't want to risk melting it.

Slickest thing I saw at a rifle field shoot one day was an old guy pull a plastic spoon out of the trash, light plastic spoon with his lighter and then use the thick black smoke from the plastic spoon blackened that front sight really well.

Not sure how hot the black smoke is, but it does a better/faster job than just the lighter by itself.

Or, when you get home, put some tape on the front, rear and sides of the FO rod and the slide, then use some flat black spray paint to hit the metal parts of the front sight.  Let it dry a few minutes and remove the tape.

8 hours ago, elguapo said:

image.thumb.png.d3d4a1cf5f076a3f45f59a17f0015d99.png

You can try all the mickey mouse fixes already listed or you can do the job right (and permanently) in less than 5 minutes.

Oh this looks interesting, I have a few scratches on my CZ from the previous owner, I could take care of this as well

• 1 month later...